Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tackling Projects







Since finishing up my last e-book, I have been taking some time to focus on the house and have finally begun to tackle my long list of projects...mainly painting!

Here is my inspiration photo from Kristy Seibert's beautiful blog, Starfish Cottage.



Though I love her wall color, I went with a darker shade called Universal Umber. I have dogs....one of which is a 150 pound Italian Mastiff who likes to roll in the dirt and then rub against my walls!

I love the colors she has decorated with - blues, greens, white and khaki. Colors found in nature. Coastal....yes!

Kristy recommends decorating with 80% neutrals and 20% colorful, trendy, or seasonal accents. She calls it the 80/20 Rule. I don't know why I never thought of it, but when I read it on her blog it immediately resonated with me and I knew changes were coming to our home!

Also, if I decide I want to change things up or decorate for the holidays, I will already have the perfect backdrop. How sweet is that?  

Other projects to be done in the office and dining room:

~ rent steam cleaner to clean carpets and sectional sofa
~ move desk; hide/organize cords/declutter desk
~ make a centerpiece for DR table
~ find a new light to go over DR table
~ paint and recover seats of 2 cane back chairs
~ paint microwave stand
~ frugal art work
~ replace plugs and light switch covers
~ paint ceiling medallion sea foam green
~ paint all hardware on doors brushed nickel or replace
~ create family gallery wall with matching black frames

Odd things about this space:

~ These two rooms are open to each other and the spaces are only semi-divided by the closet holding the HVAC system.
~ There are no windows.
~ There are 3 doorways and an archway opening up to the kitchen.
~ We have medium blue carpet.
~ I have two breaker boxes that need to be disguised.

Though I'd like for all this to be done yesterday, I'm going to take my time and enjoy the process. I don't want to buy just anything. I want all my elements to work together to create a serene, seaside retreat. Not to mention that I'm doing this on a budget! 

Are you working on any home improvement projects?

2 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Not working on any right now however we have in different times in our busy lives. I too have learnt to enjoy the whole process. Love that I've learnt that at my age.

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Congratulations on publishing your e-book. Any home improvement projects around our place right now? Not until after the garden is planted, the goats have finished kidding and little league baseball season is over ... then we hope to install 2 new storm doors, paint our entry steps, paint our smaller barn, and paint the goat's field shelter, build an equine gathering pen, goat sorting alleys and pen, repair the doors on our large barn and build new stalls inside our large barn ... all before canning season sets in. I have a feeling a few things will get pushed to next summer - hee, hee.
Blessings,
Mrs.B