Monday, May 11, 2015

Make Your Home Your Own Bed and Breakfast Retreat




Though I have never been to a bed and breakfast, I sometimes imagine what it would be like and try to make my home comparable. 

To have a successful B&B, you have to have your finances in order. So a budget is of primary importance. Each month I write out a budget on paper so I can tick off items as they are paid. It's pretty simplistic, but it works. 

The B&B I imagine is clutter-free and nicely decorated. It is also clean and sweet-smelling. I regularly edit my possessions and strive to keep surfaces clear. Routine cleaning and maintenance goes a long way in creating a clean home environment.

Meals are important at a B&B. Lately, I've been looking for new recipes to try and strive to try a new one each week. A big hit recently was my Easy Shrimp Scampi....delish! I'll share the recipe soon because it's so easy and quick. Perfect for busy nights or if you are running low on energy!

When you stay at a B&B, your comfort in the bedroom is of utmost importance! I constantly strive to make our bedroom a serene and restful space. Quality sheets, good pillows, and layers of bedding really make a difference. I only have one set of sheets which I wash weekly. Soft lighting is nice and creates ambiance. And I use a linen spray {Clean Cotton} from the Yankee Candle Co.

As usual when you stay anywhere, bathroom cleanliness is a must. I try to keep the counters streamlined {it's a constant struggle}. I want to create a spa-like atmosphere in this room. I have some ideas on what I want to do, just need to begin to implement them.

I would say curb appeal is very important to a B&B. Keeping up with yard maintenance is a must. I have potted plants and flowers by the front door, a cheerful welcome flag, and a wind chime. I'm slowly getting my yard back to where I want it to be. The 18 months I worked outside the home really took a toll on my yard! 

Other nice touches I imagine in a B&B are scented candles and wax melts, soft music playing, areas to sit outside in the garden, fluffy white bath linens, and decadent dark chocolate.

Have you stayed in a B&B? If so, what did you love most about the experience? 

2 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful post. I've never stayed at a B&B, however I have seen the inside of some and they are always so warm and inviting.

Fiona said...

Tracy's B&B sounds such a soothing place to stay! It's such a great idea to look at your home as a B&B and helps you think of the little touches of comfort you can add for the enjoyment of you and your family.