Friday, May 08, 2015

Happiness: Rules To Live By





It took me a long to come to the conclusion that not everyone is going to like me or agree with me and my choices. And that's fine. Everyone is free to have their own opinion. I don't need anyone's approval to live my life in the way I choose to. 

How often, though, do we let fear of what others will say or think prevent us from doing what we want or from trying something new? 

My thinking is this: you may as well make yourself as happy as you can because no one is going to do it for you. 

My happiness is not dependent on anyone but myself. And so is yours. Here are some guidelines I try to live by:

~ Stop worrying about what others are doing, saying, or thinking. It's none of your business.

~ Don't give others control over your emotions or your life. Remember, this is your life and you have the right to live it as you choose.

~ Live and let live. You live your life in the best way that you can and allow others to do the same.

~ Stay far away from drama. It's okay to have a calm and peaceful life. If the people in your life thrive on drama, you may have to end the relationship. You have the choice to not participate in their games.

~ Follow peace. Peace will never fail you and it is better for you mentally, physically and emotionally.

~ There are no failures. Even if something you try doesn't work out, you still have the experience. You've learned something from that experience. Go on to the next thing.

~ Do not take offense over every little thing. Will this matter a year from now? If not, let it go.

~ Happiness is a choice. Do the things that make you happy. Spend time with those who make you happy.

~ Look on the bright side. Train your mind to think positive thoughts. Expect good things to happen to you and more often than not, they will! 

How do you keep your peace and live happily? How do you deal with negative people in your life?


4 comments:

Fiona said...

Such a great post Tracy. I know I am a lot happier when I 'stay in my own lane'. I will also remember to not take offense and think 'will it matter a year from now' too. Wise words, thank you.

Scrappy quilter said...

You got it down pat. I totally agree and as I've gotten older I'm more and more in tune to the fact I am who I am and that I can't please everyone.

Julie Lill said...

Hi Tracy - I am a great believer in Guardian Angel Meditation and I try to meditate every day, I find this calms me down and I would highly recommend it. I have always been a worrier but thankfully as i've got older I worry a lot less. I am at my happiest when I'm with my family and I enjoy being in their company. I also love meeting up with my girlfriends for a coffee and a chat and try to put the world to rights!
Negative people - I steer clear from them or at least try and lift their mood to a more positive one! Finally, I'm surrounded by some beautiful English countryside where I live and I love to go out for a long walk with my dog. So the things that make me happy are all free - Family, friends, Meditation and Walking!! Take care and lots of good wishes from Liverpool. Julie x

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Tracy, beautiful list! Can't think of much to add to it just now. I try to make kindness a goal every day. Sometimes we encounter someone we'd like to smack, but that may be the very person most in need of kindness.