Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Cooking, Cleaning and Minimizing





It's going to be another beautiful day with a high of 83 degrees. Sunshine makes me so happy!

I tackled house cleaning with gusto yesterday and I'm feeling it today. Oh, my aching back! *smile* I rearranged furniture, swept, mopped, vacuumed and dusted to my heart's content all while playing music in the background.

Today I am going to take it a little easier. I have laundry to do and also want to wash my bed linens and get a start on all the curtains.

One of my youngest daughter's friends stayed over last night and said her mom only cooks boxed foods and she gets tired of it and wanted Taco Bell the night before. Alfred said our children were spoiled because they loved real food. 

There was a time when I, too, made only boxed or microwaved foods. Eeek! I didn't know how to cook when we married. But eventually I learned how and I'm good at it. I can make just about anything with a good recipe. 

Occasionally we will have a boxed meal (like Hamburger Helper or frozen pizza), but my family prefers home-cooking. With me being home full-time, I am happy to do so. 

I also do not mind packing my husband a lunch. It saves him time and ensures that he eats lunch since he skips breakfast and also saves us money.

As I was cleaning yesterday I had a few more ideas on how I could minimize possessions. 

~ I want to get an over the range microwave so I can sell my microwave and the stand it sits on.

~ I plan to sell the entertainment center in our bedroom, mount the tv on the wall and install a shelf below it to hold the dvd player and cable box.

~ Move my desk to the other wall in the office so it's out of view from the dining room table (dining room and office are open to each other), eliminate small shelf next to desk.  I'd really like another desk (this one is massive) but for now I will work with what I have.....unless I can get Alfred to build me a simple one?

~ I have one bookshelf that I need to cull once more. I have gotten rid of so many books, but there are a few keepers. If I could slowly replace the books with Kindle ones, I could sell the books and bookshelf.  

Alfred will likely flip out over a couple of these ideas, but I'm all about simplifying and streamlining our life. 

5 comments:

Patricia @ Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

wish I could catch your FEVER!
I have other things going on at the moment... though I am clearing out things... it's slow going.
You keep up the good work.
I'm with you about cooking homecooked meals too!
we haven't eaten out much at all 2015... I am happy about it.
I hadn't realized how much of the budget fast food EATS UP!

Tracy Lee said...

Thank you, Patricia! Fast food certainly does eat up the budget. I can buy groceries to make a few different meals. I had that realization recently. So instead I try to have the ingredients on hand for a few quick, easy meals...that way the temptation to eat out is less appealing. :)

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm with you. I love to simplify and make my life easier. I do it anyway I can. At times that means eating out however most times I do make our food from scratch.

Mrs. Miano said...

Simplifying is so freeing! What is your bookcase like?? maybe you could use it to make a desk??? This picture has 2 but you could just as easy use one and just use another straight piece of wood as the other leg. You could paint the whole thing any color you like. http://homedecormagz.com/diy-computer-desk/diy-computer-desk-with-bookcase-design-ideas/

Rhonda said...

I've always cooked. One our daughters former boyfriends especially liked eating with us, he was from a wealthier family but he said all the food at their house was "old, cold, or stale". Isn't that sad? Funny too