Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What Dreams Are Made Of


For years I have dreamed of a life of simplicity and I've slowly taken steps to bring those dreams to fruition. I'm still far from where I want to be, but major changes are not always easy.

Life has given us more lemons than I care for. We've made plenty of financial mistakes and, on occasion, still do. We can only do the best we can and hopefully learn from the hard times.

A few years ago I had a dream of a young woman who lived in a little house with her family. There wasn't anything special about the house. In fact, it was a little shabby looking. She had a husband, several little ones and her mother lived with them. 


She wore a cotton dress and was barefoot as she went out to get eggs from her hens. Her young children, though they didn't have many toys, were happy exploring the world around them. Soft music wafted from inside the house with the doors and windows open and where grandmother was baking.

In the eyes of the world, she was poor and was to be pitied. Oh but she was so happy and content  in her simple life! That's what I remember most from the dream. 

She wasn't caught up in consumerism and a "need" to have the best or the newest. Instead she was focused on loving her little family and creating a happy, cozy home. 

And so, the dream of simplicity lives on in me.

I'm choosing to look at this season we are currently in as a blessing because it is forcing me to get back to basics, to be creative with what I have, and to realize that having the love of my husband and children is all the riches I need.

I am content in that knowledge.

3 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautifully written. I am with you on the same journey.

Fiona said...

I love your dream Tracy!

Tracy Lee said...

Thank you ladies!! :)