Monday, February 09, 2015

How I Am Creating the Spirit of Abundance While Feeling the Financial Pinch




Sometimes life doesn't go as planned. We are feeling the pinch financially. Alfred is once again having problems with his shoulder, so there are possible upcoming medical expenses. And it's tax season and we have to pay close to three grand. 

It's enough to make me want to throw in the towel if I think about it too much.

Though I have had my days of wallowing in self-pity in recent weeks, I just can not stay there. I am refusing to stay in the negative mindset of scarcity, lack and feeling deprived.

Instead, I intend to take action by creating a spirit of abundance within my home and in my life.

:: I intend to take time each day to look my best instead of schlepping around in pjs. 

:: I will use what I have on hand. Instead of saving the "good things", I will begin using them. I will use up the food items in my pantry and freezer, the beauty products in my bathroom, read the books on my bookshelves, etc.

:: I will create hearty meals out of simple ingredients. I will bake treats like cookies, muffins and brownies so my family does not feel deprived.

:: I will take time to get outdoors daily. Being out of doors always makes me feel more calm and content.

:: I will work on my home. I will scrub and shine until my little home sparkles. I will tackle the areas that bother me. I will declutter and reorganize because there is always another layer to peel away.

:: I will practice gratitude by jotting down five things in my journal each night before bed. I know I have much to be grateful for and that this situation is temporary.

:: I will practice self-care by resting when I am tired, make time for things I enjoy, saying no to requests, and asking for what I need.

:: I will find reasons to laugh. Watch comedies, read funny stories, tell corny jokes and be silly. It lightens the mood and puts me in a better frame of mind.

:: I will reduce media consumption. Enough said!

:: I am focusing on the positive and trusting that good things are coming our way soon.

With each new day we are given a chance to start over. So I am going to take it and run with it! I'm off for a neighborhood walk with my daughter.

In what ways do you create the feeling of abundance?


11 comments:

CTMOM said...

Those are all awesome techniques! I agree-use the good stuff, just what are they being saved for? Every Jan, I have a reduced grocery budget as I do an intentional pantry/freezer eat down. While my preplanned menus are always focused on what is on hand, instead of stocking up, I just get the perishables needed and allocate additional funds to awesome deals. Some* have been late with reimbursements. As a direct cause/effect, I am continuing the pantry/freezer challenge BUT I am not replacing items unless there is a "you would be foolish NOT to get this now sale." I am using up lurkers, I am getting creative. There is still PLENTY of food on hand, don't get me wrong, but it's time to use up what is here, and I can keep my purse shut.

Tracy Lee said...

Good ideas, CTMOM! I intend to use up the pantry/freezer lurkers myself. :)

Scrappy quilter said...

What a wonderful post. If we could all look at life like you are doing, being thankful for what we do have and learning contentment, life would be so much easier.

Rhonda IfYouDoStuffStuffGetsDone said...

Oh Tracy, that is awful about the tax bill! Have you tried it figuring it different ways with different tax programs? I am so sorry. I hope you can get it lower but I have no idea.

debbie said...

I am also having a bad year with finances each month I hope it gets better cause I'm tired of Murphy visiting my house

christina neumann said...

I greatly enjoy your posts and 'new' look. We also owe taxes this year even after I thougnt I'd done everything to get to be even. So, we will need to add another dependent(or whatever up you add to your w-4) so next year we won't owe or at least it'll be even.
It does get depressing, but, I think you're on the right path, and I for one am drawing inspiration from your blog. Thanks!!

Tracy Lee said...

Thank you ladies for all of your kind comments! It appears many of us are facing financial/tax difficulties.

Rhonda, I have not. I used TaxAct to do our taxes. Now I'm wondering if I should take it to Jackson Hewitt and file an amended return...

Theresa F said...

Love this post. My husband has been off work sick since June. His pay has been greatly reduced. Our debt level has risen to the point of depressing. He should be back to work(God willing) next week and we can start to dig out. I need all the encouragement I can get:). I will be enjoying your posts and cheering you on.

Tracy Lee said...

Theresa, sorry to hear about your husband and situation, but am glad that he will be returning to work soon. All we can do is take things one day at a time and pray and pay what we can. Thinking of you!

Rhonda IfYouDoStuffStuffGetsDone said...

Tracy, try running your numbers on turbotax and hrblock online and just see if yiu get something better. One year I got a much different number with one than the other, but I don't remember now which.
I even read an article from a guy who talked about the same thing happening, he said his return varied widely between different tax software.
I sure hope you can get something better.

Kathy Richter said...

My daughter has been a tax preparer for 16 years and opened her own business this year. She does taxes from all around the US. Visit her website at www.allaspectsaccounting.com. She could probably review it for you.