Thursday, December 04, 2014

How To Stop Worrying




I used to be the biggest worrier. I worried about everything. And you know what? It didn't do one once of good. Instead it sucked the joy out of my days. It zapped my strength. Worry is rooted in fear and fear is a great paralyzer. 

I didn't want to waste my life away in Worry Land as I had been doing, nor did I want to grow into a bitter, scowling old lady who never had a good thing to say.

Is the problem one you have the power to change? Then, take action!

Is it a "what-if" kind of worry? Take your mind off of it. Get busy doing something, anything, to get your mind focused on something else.

Clean your house, go for a walk, rake leaves, bake something. Read a book, try a new recipe, rearrange the furniture, clean out a closet. Do a crossword puzzle, paint a room, pray, write a letter, paint your nails.

Worry does not add anything good to your life. It takes away your time and your joy. Not to mention your health and beauty. 

Your thoughts create your life. By thinking negatively, you draw negative situations to you and who wants that? You need to focus on the positive things. I'm not saying it's easy or that the habit of worrying will be gone overnight, but it gets easier with time.

These days, I find myself happier and less apt to worry because things have a way of working themselves out. Maybe not in the way or time you expect, but it does eventually. 

Perhaps it's just wisdom that comes with the passing of time, but hey, I'll take it! Life is too short to be filled with dread and fear. 

Do what you can with what you have. Make the best decisions you can based on the knowledge you have. Be good to yourself and to others and let the chips fall where they may. What's the worst that can happen?


3 comments:

Theresa F said...

My sister has that quote on the wall in her house. I love it. Corrie ten Boom was such an amazing woman.

Patricia @ Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

A very good message, one I needed to hear today.
Thanks for the reminder and ...good tips about 'what-if' type of worries. It's true-- when you get yourself busy doing something with your hands besides wringing them all the time, it takes your mind off the matter.
Cast all your Cares upon Him, for He cares for you!


have a lovely weekend Tracy!

Debbie said...

A great reminder! I am a worrier too.