Sunday, November 02, 2014

Guidelines For a Cleaner Home



I have tried many methods to keeping my house clean, but they never seem to work for me. The idea of creating a list to follow instantly causes inner rebellion within me. I will sabotage myself every time. 

So I decided rather than creating a schedule, guidelines that everyone in the house can easily follow would be better. 


1. Nothing left out on flat surfaces.

2. While preparing meals, have a sink full of hot, soapy water so one can wash dishes as they go. Finish up the dishes immediately after dinner.

3. Clean any dishes one dirties after use. I hate waking up to a sink full of dishes or coming home to wash dishes before I can even begin to cook.

4. Wipe up spills/crumbs immediately.

5. Put all clothing away - whether it be in the hamper, closet or dresser.

6. All personal belongings should be returned to one's room when not in use, not scattered about the house. Cleaning can go much faster if I don't have to pick up everyone else's stuff!

7. Bathrooms get a quick clean daily after getting ready for the day. Give it a thorough cleaning once a week.

8. Deal with papers immediately. Trash the junk mail, place bills in "to pay" bin, and file what needs filing.

9. Make bed upon rising. 

10. If you take it out, put it away.

11. Dust, vacuum and mop as needed, a minimum of once a week.

12. Upon noticing items you no longer need or use, place them in the Goodwill box for donation. In other words, declutter, declutter, declutter! *smile*

13. Empty all trash cans immediately instead of letting things pile up.

14. Upon noticing something needs to be done, take care of it immediately rather than procrastinating.  

This is not a deep clean by any means, but it will help keep the house presentable enough for unexpected company. 

What would you add?

4 comments:

CTMOM said...

Great list! I'd add, take off shoes when you get home, and wear a designated pair of house slippers that you keep at the door. Really works to keep floors clean!

Tracy Hathcock said...

Great idea, CTMom! Thanks for sharing. :)

topchelseagirl said...

A colleague said that her sister has a 'rule' - that if something only takes 2 minutes, to just do it now. Several '2 minutes' a day can save an hour or two on your day off.

howsoonisnow-tcg.blogspot.com

Fiona said...

Fantastic list Tracy. I rebel against myself all the time and have to really tread on eggshells sometimes - what's that all about??? I like the idea of guidelines, far more relaxing.