Thursday, March 06, 2014

Simplifying: Digital Clutter





Clutter comes in many forms and I have recently begun to tackle the digital clutter in my life.

Facebook: After paring down my friends list, I began deleting tons of webpages I liked in the past. It clutters up my news feed with unnecessary junk. I also un-clicked "Get Notifications" on every page I kept. Constantly checking notifications gets to be tiring.

Emails: I used to get tons of emails! As they came in, I began evaluating whether or not this was something I needed or even bothered to read. If not, I unsubscribed from the company's email list. My time is more valuable than wading through useless emails.

Blogs: I had quite a few blogs on my list where there posts no longer pertain to me and I rarely read them. It was time to once again cull them. Yesterday I went from 82 blogs to 47....most of which are frugal living related and/or provide inspiration.



And most importantly, I have decided to set a few ground rules for technology in our home. Dinner time with family will be technology-free (no cell phones, tablets, computers). 

I will start turning my phone off at 8pm in the evenings, unless I am working late. No one usually calls after that time anyway, but if it's important, they can leave a message. 

I don't want to be tied to my phone/computer. I want to spend my free time with my family and being productive in my home. 

How have you tamed the digital clutter in your own life? I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions in the comments.

1 comment:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Good tips! I started cutting down on my on-line/computer time a few months ago. I limit my blog reading to 2x/s a week and I do just delete a lot of emails (I get a lot of I want to guest post on your blog spammy emails) :) I'm pretty good about not being online after 7 pm (unless I'm working on something and doing research etc.)