Monday, February 17, 2014

Stress and Its Ill Effects



For the past two weeks I've been stressing big time over our financial situation.  Every day I walked around with a knot in the pit of my stomach and it has started affecting my health. 

I began experiencing severe chest and back pain that resulted in vomiting (Friday) and being sent home from work (Saturday). I know it's due to stress and I can not continue to go on this way.

~ Take one day at a time. I can't change the past and I do not know what the future holds, so I want make today the best I can.

~ Worrying has to stop. Today I have a roof over my head, clothes to wear and food to eat. I have enough!

~ Make time for the simple pleasures in life. The warmth of the sun on my skin. Listening to bird song. Holding hands with Alfred.

~ Remember to breathe deeply and release the tension in my body.

~ Be positive and optimistic.  Stop beating myself up for mistakes we've made.

~ Remind myself daily that this is a situation and it will change. Things will not always be this way. The debt will be paid off. It just takes time.

~ Don't put off happiness until we are debt-free. I couldn't stand the thought of being miserable for years. 

~ Remind myself daily to take care of myself and my family first, creditors second. They do not own me or my life. 

~ Count my blessings daily!

It won't be easy to change. I am a chronic worrier, but life is not a dress rehearsal. I want to live a happy, productive life - not be miserable and depressed!

9 comments:

ociana said...

I have been in similar situations many times. This is what I have learned. I am not trying to be trite or flippant. I know those chest pains. I know that knot in the stomach.

God will provide. Trust Him. He is in control anyhow, so worrying is a waste of your time and energy.

I was a single mom with three kids, not knowing how I was going to feed them and keep a roof over our heads. We always had enough. God cares and seek His face.

Hugs!

Nicole T said...

Tracey, I am following your journey so closely because I am on the exact same journey with you! I feel like I am drowning in a sea of regret and hopelessness over our financial decisions. And then that affects the rest of my life … relationships, marriage, everything. I love what you say about not waiting until you are debt free to enjoy life. I feel like I need to get a grip on that myself. You are not alone, friend.

Tracy said...

Ociana - thank you for sharing!

Nicole T - welcome! I'm sure there are many in the same boat as we are. I'm trying to focus on what I can do with what we have and try not to worry about that which I can not change.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Hi Tracy
I have to be reminded of this everyday. I know exactly what you mean about living happily right now and not waiting to be (fill in the blank)______
I also know that we are human and our feelings and emotions are real; but they do open the door for LIES TO ENTER and steal our joy.
The Lie that there's no way out, the lie that creditors are going to knock on your door and take all your personal possessions. The reality is... IN THE MOMENT.
Just like you I have to calm myself. Remember where my joy comes from--- take a deep breathe and move on from there.
It's hard.
But I can do it.
So can you.
Thank you for sharing your heart, and your fears, and your real emotions with us.
We are (I am) rooting for you.
Much such.
Much Joy.
Pat

Tracy said...

Thank you, Pat! Your encouragement is much appreciated. Thanks, as always, for reading and sharing! :)

Theresa F said...

I am a chronic worrier as well. I worry about things totally out of my control. I continually remind myself that God has told us not to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.(Matthew 6:34)

My mom has never been a worrier. She would always say "well...you could be dead tomorrow or the next day." Lol.

I hope things ease up for you soon. If you set goals to pay of debt, make sure to do it at a realistic pace or you will constantly be stressed and worried.

Debra said...

Oh Tracy... I'm so sorry this has happened. The new steps you've laid out sound great, though! May God help you find whole new levels of peace in the days and months to come. Blessings, Debra

Terri Cheney said...

Tracy: Number one- that whole amount to IRS can be divided up and not paid all at once. I know this because my mom owes every single year. She makes quarterly payments. So consider that and don't' worry over much about that big hurdle.

I don't know what else is going on, but I do know that every single day, God will provide something that extends, stretches, or ekes out what you have.

This is just a Season. A hard one but a Season and all seasons are limited time things even here in the South where summer can be a lot longer than in other places, lol.

You CAN do this. One.Day.At.A.Time.

Tracy said...

Thank you, Debra!

Terri - while finances have been very tight over the past year, this IRS thing threw me for a loop. Plus we need a rotten pecan tree cut down by a tree service (it's close to the house & power lines!) and I need new tires for my car. We had planned to pay for these things with a tax refund, so I need to come up with the money for these as well. Thank you for the encouragement! You are one of my frugal mentors!! :)