Saturday, February 22, 2014

Balancing Work and Home





After almost 9 months of working outside the home, I finally feel like I'm beginning to make headway on keeping up with our home. I hated spending my off days catching up on housework. I still have more decluttering and Spring cleaning to do, but I'm getting there slowly but surely!

Yesterday I had a short shift and was home by 2:30pm. After a short break I got to work cleaning, mopping and vacuuming floors and doing laundry. 

Today I cleaned out the fridge, did another load of laundry, made a menu plan/shopping list, bought groceries, cleared my desk/dusted, put away all the clean clothes, made our bed/dusted, and cleaned the bathroom.

Here are the things that help me:

~ Make a list: The things that bother me most go on the list. It's easy to get overwhelmed, but having a list keeps me focused. And I like checking off items completed. If something doesn't get done, it just goes on the next day's list, but often times I get things done and then some.

~ Do the worst first: Usually the things you dread don't take nearly as long to do as you imagined. Get those out of the way and you'll feel so much better and without the guilt!

~ Don't try to do too much: Housework is never-ending! It's okay if you don't get it all done today. It will get done eventually.

~ Do a little every day: Better to spread the work out over your week then trying to get it all done in a day or two.

~ Declutter and simplify as much as possible: The more you have, the more upkeep it requires! I'd much rather have less stuff and more time to do what I want!

~ Make a weekly menu plan: This helps me to not feel overwhelmed about dinner making and usually keeps me from buying fast food. On busy days, plan easy meals. 

~ Do errands before or immediately after work: If I come home first, I will not want to go back out. Better to do those things while I'm out anyway and be done with it!

~ Make time for things you enjoy: I try to get my work done early in the day, by noonish, so I can spend the afternoon doings I want to do. This helps me to relax and rejuvenate a little before going back to work.

~ Ask for help: Now that I'm working, I simply can not do everything myself, so I do delegate some things to the girls.

~ Go to bed early: I'm usually asleep by 10pm, but sometimes as early as 7:30pm. I don't feel guilty about it either! A good night's sleep is worth its weight in gold. 

For those who work outside the home, how do you balance work and your home life?

4 comments:

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Tracy-
I don't work outside my home.
But I have my Littles every single day while my kids work. So you know I work.
Sometimes watching them takes all my effort and the housework doesn't get worked into my daily routine like it did when all my own kids were small.
I enjoyed your list here of things to do making work and home work come together.
I've GOT to go back to list making...it's the only way I can tangibly SEE WHAT NEEDS DOING and WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. :)
Thanks for the reminder.
Pat

Tracy said...

Pat - a list is absolutely essential for me. Without it I am lost! :)

Rhonda said...

This is the million dollar question and one I always struggled with I worked outside the home,
My family would help with what they could- Jeff did the floors for me but I did not ever want him to do laundry or cook.
I know it is a struggle

Tracy said...

Rhonda - I just worked three 8.5 hour days in a row. I told Alfred and the kids to pick something easy for dinner that they could make because I wasn't cooking or doing dishes! Now I have four days off.

It's rare that I work those hours, but when I do they have to chip in. I can only do so much and simply must rest my feet and back and go to bed early.

One day I will return home full-time. Until then I'm just trying to balance as best I can. I, by no means, have it down pat...but it's getting a little better! :)