Thursday, January 30, 2014

Time To Be Ruthless!




This morning I sat down to do our taxes and was in for a mighty shock. We owe both federal and state taxes just over $1,000 and have 10 weeks before the April 15th deadline. Needless to say, I will need to be ruthless in reducing our expenses. 

Not only do we need to pay the government but my car needs tires, we have a rotten pecan tree in the yard that must come down and we'd hoped to buy a new mattress this year, along with paying off our two credit cards. 

There is no time for pity parties. I am going to have to work my behind off to make these things happen. I've got my eyes fixed on these goals and am determined to achieve them!

My husband doesn't see how we can do this. Neither can I but where there's a will there's a way. And I will fight to the bitter end.

Today, I am working on my menu plan for the week based on sale items and will be going through my coupons to match up with the sales. I'll do the shopping after work tomorrow.

We will be eating very simple yet filling meals, all made from scratch. Desserts will be homemade, too. If I can make it myself, I don't need to buy it.

Household cleaners will be made instead of bought.

We are going to DO instead of buy. We have board games. We have books to read & access to the library. Watch movies & favorite tv programs. Draw. Play pool. Work in the yard. Clean house. Declutter. Bake. Write at this blog. Research money-saving. Plant a garden. Go for a walk. Play with the dogs. 

We are going to make do with what we have. Use things up and wear them out.  

When we do have to buy an item, we're going to look for alternatives to buying new.

Now we are redefining the concept of "living the good life". A life not filled with consumerism and excess. 

I don't expect this to be easy. I don't expect it to happen overnight. I can be certain there will be setbacks - there always are. But I also know that this too shall pass and we will come out all the better for it.

Just remind me of that when I freak out....

8 comments:

Kathy in Illinois said...

Tracy, I KNOW you can do it. You have many great ideas and you are so determined that I know you won't fail. Keep up the great work!
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Go Tracy!
that's me cheering for you. :)
You can do it...little baby steps at a time. You didn't get all these little financial "needs" overnight, but if you plug away a little bit at a time, You can do it!
Sometimes it seems like moving a mountain with a teaspoon. Every little bit of savings helps; by saving, you know I don't mean putting money back...but looking for ways to save like you're doing.
Hang in there. Pat

Laurie said...

Tracy,
I have no doubt you can do this. I'll be cheering you on!
Hugs))
Laurie

Theresa F said...

Good luck with your goal. I have to buy tires this spring too. Then yesterday, while getting an oil change, my mechanic reminded me that my front brakes need to be done as well. My rear brakes were done October($500..ugh) and he had told me about the fronts then.I had forgotten. Well, there goes our income tax refund before we even get it. Such is life!

Cash Only Living said...

Yeah! You even inspired me by your dedication and good ideas! Im sure you will reach your goals this month!

Precious said...

You are one determined lady Tracy! So I am routing for you and I know you can do it.

Urmel said...

You can do it ...adding myself to the cheering squad ...

AJ said...

Hi Tracy I know you mentioned decluttering have you considered taking those items/clothes to consignment or selling online. Many sites that make clothes selling easy. I have used thredup. I find your posts extremely encouraging keep up the great work.