Friday, November 15, 2013

Puttin' On My Happy Face :)



Despite the hard time I'm having finding balance, I'm going to make the best of things as they are and put on a happy face.

For now, my reality is that I need my job and the income it brings. Thankfully, I like most of the people I work with. I'm also darn good at my job! 

We may not have completely made-from-scratch meals, but the important thing is that we are not going hungry and we are gathered most nights 'round the dining table together. 

The house may not be spotless, nor the lawn manicured but life is busy and our home is not a museum. We have kids and dogs. There's more to life than having a spotless house...

I realize that I can not do everything myself and I simply must take care of me. 

Some nights I'm sound asleep at 7:30pm, but almost always by 10pm at the latest. Occasionally, Alfred will cook on the grill so I don't have to cook or my youngest daughter makes dinner and the older one bakes dessert. I can't tell you how thankful I am on those nights!

But you know, I think using small pockets of time will be my saving grace and help keep things in check so I don't lose my ever-lovin' mind! 

I'm bad about making grandiose lists of things I want to accomplish on my days off and running myself ragged. I think the better solution would be to make a list of things I'd like to accomplish and get to it as I have the time and energy. 

The one thing I know for certain is nothing stays the same and that this, too, shall pass. So until then I'm going to put on my happy face and if I have to, I'll fake it until I make it. 

3 comments:

lisa said...

Tracy, I was a control freak... 2 years ago I had breast cancer..I went through chemo and lost control of everything.. My family stepped up and helped... I was not use to help... Actually I had to be the super women... Well that was all taken from me from chemo.. I had to let go of the reins of control and it was NOT easy...My husband became my rock. Your doing it right by letting things go... You will find you will enjoy life more... Relax and have fun instead of all the other stuff... I always look at it now do I want to be remembered by my list making and me a control freak or as a fun and loving mom....Well I chose the latter one... and I am having fun... enjoying life now... Lisa

Terri Cheney said...

Seasons, seasons, seasons. I'm learning to wait for the season to change when things are not going well.

I am at home but struggling financially and with having John home all day long every day. The recent schedule change I made works rather well for me. It's just sticking with it and using those pockets of time well...which means for you resting when you are tired. Housework waits. Health will flee if it's not tended to!

Fiona said...

Tracy, I know exactly what you mean by grandiose lists on my day off! If I complete the entire list I feel satisfied but wrecked and wonder when I can put my feet up (but it's work the next day). A perfect day off involves some of the list and some things just for me. Early nights are saviours too - I like to have lights out by 10 also. Look after yourself!