Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again






Mercy, it's cold out today! I stocked up on coffee for Alfred and hot cocoa for the kids. For dinner we are having chili served over a bed of rice and topped with cheddar cheese...warm and hearty on a cold night such as this.

Except for the occasional post, I have all but stopped blogging because who wants to hear about me trying to balance work and home with an auto-immune disease? But this is now my life and I really miss this creative outlet.

As for homemaking, I feel I am forever behind. I'm exhausted and hurting after an 8.5 hour day. Meals tend to be something quick and definitely not homemade on those nights. On my off days it's really not much better. It's like I've lost my homemaking inspiration... And I wonder to myself, is this all there is...just making it through each day?

That's not how I want to live.

I no longer care if my home is magazine worthy or if I'm not serving fancy made-from-scratch dinners. I'm done with perfection, being a martyr, and self-loathing. 

I only have so much time and energy. Good enough will have to be good enough. My main concerns are keeping the pantry stocked, the bills paid, the laundry done, and spending time with those I love. The rest is gravy.

Small pockets of time will be used to tackle chores before and after work. There will be no marathon cleaning sessions. Menus will be planned and I'll be looking for simple recipes and making use of the crockpot on days I work.

Frugality is still very important to me so I will continue to look for ways to incorporate more frugal doings into my life.

And lastly, I want to make time for things I enjoy such as reading and blogging. All work and no play makes for a dull girl.  

I don't have all the answers. Far from it! I'm just learning as I go. And I hope you, my readers, will come along for the ride. 

5 comments:

Kathleen in IL said...

Tracy, honey, you are HUMAN and you are TIRED.....do what you have to do. I'm delighted at your priorities, and I feel you should take whatever "shortcuts" you feel are needed in order to put those priorities in place. Life is not always easy for sure. I know you are able to reclaim parts of your former life as time goes on. Please don't fret TOO much. Your god loves you just as you are!

Kathleen in IL

Kathy in Illinois said...

Tracy, I'm so sorry you are having hard times. You just have to do what you have to do. Count your blessings- a lovely home, a husband who loves you and precious children. Things will get better. I always enjoy reading your blog and am glad you like to do it. We will be with you all the way! Praying for you.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

gigijack said...

Hi. Although I do not have a blog, I enjoy reading a few -- your blog being one. Your posts are written in such an honest, heartfelt manner. Truly inspiration.

Nell Fitzsimmons said...

I love your blog and I could have written a lot of the above. I too have lost my homemaking mojo. You sound like you are doing all the right things. Lots of love xxx

Fiona said...

Tracy, I have enjoyed reading your blog for a long time now because you write in a graceful, and grateful way that inspires me to truly appreciate the simple things in life. I feel for you with your illness; some days are tough enough with work and home without adding being unwell on top. It sounds as though you are doing exactly the right thing at this moment by learning where you can cut corners to still get the essentials done (such as dinner). I know exactly what you mean by losing your homemaking mojo. Read through your own earlier posts and also others homemaking blogs such as the Home Living blog. I find that helps me. Best wishes friend!