Friday, June 21, 2013

Frugal Doings


Had an interesting voice-mail left for me yesterday. A lady from the mall wanted to interview me for a part-time job at her store. Only I never put in any applications at the mall! I have an interview after work today. Don't know if I'll take the job or not. I do want to know how she got my name and number though!

I'm reading a book by Jo Ann York called How I Feed My Family on $16 A Week (And Have Meat, Fish or Poultry On the Table Every Night). Written in 1975, the prices are far from today's but the ideas themselves are still valuable.

I listed several items for sale on local sites while I was off yesterday. Purses, shoes, dog kennel, and a gas grill. Plus I've listed books and CDs on Amazon. I'm decluttering and hope to make a little money.

I hung up dark curtains over three windows in the sunroom in hopes of keeping that room cooler and lowering the electric bill. Still have 3 more windows to cover.

I did splurge on an ice cream cone yesterday for $1.09. :)

That's all I can think of at the moment! Now it's time for me to get ready for work....

5 comments:

Karla Neese said...

What a journey toward frugality you are taking this year! I love seeing your progress and get inspiration from your hard work ideas. I think I read that book years ago back when we were strapped for cash. I am trying hard to get back to a more frugal lifestyle. It's so hard when you've left it for awhile! But it's worth it. Perhaps it is time for me to check that out from the library again.

Can't wait to hear about the job!
Have a great weekendf Tracy!

Kathy in Illinois said...

Yay for the ice cream cone, Tracy!!!! You deserve it!
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Debra said...

Glad you're gleaning good things from the book! I like how it reminds me that we really don't need to eat a ton of food each day. I tend to forget that. ;)

And I, too, am glad you had the ice cream. I love being frugal, but God's always reminding me not to let that turn into a sort of if-I-spend-money,-we-shall-be-poor mentality.

Ultimately, God is my provider and His wisdom keeps me balanced... being frugal while also trusting that He will provide my real needs if I rely on His wisdom first. (And I love it when He sees that an ice cream is my current real need.) ;) Keep up the good work! Blessings, Debra

Rhonda Sue said...

Hi Tracy, I have that book and it is great. I think I first read about York in a magazine when I was in high school and then another article when I was a young bride living on E5 pay.
Her corn fritters recipe is a big family favorite, every likes them and they are really frugal. If you use frozen corn in them, let it thaw first or they won't cook all the way through.

A few years ago, I tried to convert the dollars and I think the $16 back in 1975 is about $78 now.

Precious said...

Hi Tracy,

I have that book. It is dog -eared. Lots of good ideas in it.