Thursday, June 13, 2013

Determination




We have financially hit hard times, but I am determined to fight and win this war by exercising extreme frugality and creativity. 

Frugal Queen has started a new series with very helpful tips on how to get out of debt. These two posts are fabulous!

The Prudent Homemaker also has started a series called Eat For 40 Cents A Day. Lots of good advice there...

So what am I going to do to turn things around?

~ALL excess spending will be cut out. If it's not a need, it will not be purchased. I will be tracking every cent spent as well.

~ We are cutting the cable off completely. We'll save up for a blu-ray player and then get Netflix streaming for $7.99/month. This will save us $68.96/month.

~ Groceries will be purchased on sale matched with coupons as able.  Making more meatless meals. We are also looking into buying in bulk and storing food in expensive food grade 5 gallon buckets. Flour and sugar especially! Also eggs and butter. 

~ If I'm scheduled a day long enough to be given a lunch, I'll bring lunch from home. Alfred comes home for lunch already.

~ Cancelling pest control saving us $64 quarterly.

~ Still saving all of my change in a jar....added $11.03 this week.

~ I'll be making my own household cleaners from now on using mostly vinegar. I'm planning to try making my own laundry soap, too.

~ On my off days, I want to bake homemade treats for the family.

~ I'll be looking through my sheets and blankets to use to cover the windows in the sun room. That room is not insulated and I want to keep as much heat out as possible this summer. 

~ I'll be looking for things to sell on Ebay, Craigslist and Amazon to bring in extra money.

I'm choosing to look at this as a challenge and to make the very most of what we have rather than letting it get me discouraged. 

12 comments:

Debra said...

Wonderful ideas! And I love, love the idea of seeing it all as a challenge. That's what's kept me sane (and happy) many times over the past three decades in times when finances were rough. Best of everything to you, Tracy! ... Debra

a8383 said...

Tracy,Precious at Frugal makes cents had a great "bare bones" post. I could give you the link if you don't already follow her. She has a lot of good info. Stay positive! Hugs, Angela

Tracy said...

Hi Angela - I follow Precious' blog! It's one of my faves!!:)

Chy said...

I just found your blog Tracy. It's beautiful. Wishing you all the best as you figure out this financial hard time. You seem well prepared. Hopefully, it won't be a long experience.

Take care.

Chy

Cash Only Living said...

Good luck! You have a lot of great ideas for ways to save money! Im sure things will turn around for you.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Hi Tracy- Love all these ideas. They sound good. I'm pleased to see too, that you have determination going into this.
I hope you're able to keep your internet and you can report and let us know how things are going for you. We all want to encourage you,too! Because you encourage us! :)
My husband and I live on a fixed income and times are always tight it seems... so I know how it is to struggle. I had a no spend month in February and it was hard but we did it!
You can do this.
Pat

Rosebud said...

Dear Tracy,
I hope all is well. We are trying to stick with a tight budget as my husband (and many others) are facing the government furlough. Getting rid of the wants and sticking to the needs, but it isn't easy.
I love the Prudent Homemaker too!
Hugs))

Kathy in Illinois said...

Don't get discouraged, Tracy. Alot of people are in your same predicament. You have wonderful ideas in your post. Keep doing all you can. Things seem to turn out for the best eventually.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

jeanie said...

Hi Tracy,
I've been following your blog for a year or so. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog and upbeat outlook! I'm trying to get finances under control at my house as well--groceries seems to be the hardest for me to get under control.

Jeanie from Missouri

Precious said...

Hi Tracy,

I am so sorry about your hard times. It looks like you are doing everything you can. I will pray that you weather this quickly. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Theresa said...

Love your ideas for saving money. I think most people need to save more and spend less.

countryhomeandhearth said...

I just found your blog and I love it! We have never been a family where we spend a lot of money, and I have made it my hobby to be as frugal as possible. The Complete Tightwad Gazette has always been my "go to" book in saving money. Wish you luck in your challenge!