Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Homemade Coleslaw



Ingredients:
half cup of mayo
one-fourth cup sugar
three carrots, shredded
small head cabbage, shredded

Mix mayo in a bowl with sugar.

Mix cabbage and carrots together.

Add Sauce to cabbage/carrots before serving.

This dressing can be made in advance and stored in a separate container in the fridge.

Serves 8.
***************************************
This was my first attempt at making coleslaw and I was very happy with the way it turned out. It was just as good as any you would buy at a restaurant. Alfred thought it was too sweet. You can reduce the amount of sugar used if you don't like sweet 'slaw. 

Oh, and I chopped the cabbage and carrots with a sharp knife, as I don't have a shredder and it turned out fine as you can see from the picture above.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

I make cole slaw often, similar to yours and I add quite a bit of mustard. Jeff is a big slaw fan but not if it is too sweet. Silly men. :)

Laura said...

I am comparing it to the recipe I use, and wondering about vinegar. Mine calls for vinegar in with the mayo (and less sugar). It says to add celery seed, but they can be kind of strong, so I use poppy seeds instead, along with a bit of onion powder. We are a small family - just three of us - so I make the dressing and keep it on hand, then shred cabbage and carrots for slaw and just pour some of my ready-made dressing in. :) Isn't it nice to be able to make things just like you like them and save money at the same time?

Best,
-Laura at TenThingsFarm

Rosebud said...

I'll have to try this recipe. My husband is a big fan of coleslaw!