Thursday, December 20, 2012

Watching My Pennies




I had to buy groceries today. With $89 to spend and Christmas dinner fixings included on my list, I wasn't sure I could pull it off but I did. 

I came in at $77.16 for a week's worth of groceries plus dog & cat food for a family of 5. I had a total of $16.19 in reward card savings and have now earned 65 cents off per gallon in fuel perks.

I already had a turkey, ham, vegetables and cranberry sauce on hand for Christmas dinner and I went through my freezer & pantry to see what I could use for this week's meals before making out my menu plan, grocery list and shopping.

Work has been very slow for my husband. He is only getting about 25 hours a week. It is looking like I will need to start looking again for employment. We simply can't make ends meet with those hours.

When it comes down to it, you gotta do what you have to do.

2 comments:

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh my gosh you did great. I am trying to make things out of the pantry to keep costs down. Spending all cash for Christmas really makes you see how much you are spending but I am looking forward to no bills coming for months after. Merry Christmas to you all.

Precious said...

Tracy,

You did fabulous. May God Bless you and your family this Christmas. I will be praying for more hours for your DH and that you find what you need to do.