Monday, December 17, 2012

The Soapbox Rant





After hearing about the devastating tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, it made me all the more thankful that I chose to pull my children out of public school and have them here with me.

It's a crazy world out there folks and a tragedy like that can happen anywhere - even Smalltown, USA. If that's not enough, they have bullies, cliques, drugs, sex, and peer pressure to deal with and it's happening at younger ages.  

Our children do not have it easy. And yet we are expected to throw them to the wolves to fend for themselves when they have not the maturity or life experiences to deal with such things!

We do not isolate our children by any means, but I see no reason to subject them to such hate and pressure on a daily basis. It is so damaging to a child's self-esteem. 

How much better it is to let them grow and learn surrounded by the people who love them and want the best for them. Who are willing to help them meet their needs, expand their world and connect with them! 

Public school does not do that. They want children to conform, tell them how & what to think, get them to be obedient little robots. And they make money doing it! For more info, please read HERE.

As for us, we will continue to be our children's partners instead of their adversaries. We will encourage, support, and guide them. We will meet their needs and provide their wants as we are able. We will be by their side as they navigate this complex, cruel world for as long as we are needed.

People it is time we started using our brains and stop following the norms of society like lost sheep. Start thinking outside the box. Follow your heart and do what is best for YOUR family - regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. It's none of their business!

Stepping off my soapbox,

3 comments:

janice15 said...

Such a horrible thing to have happen. We should keep our children close as possible and in my opinion it doesn't matter what age they are in...We need to help them as much as possible. They don't stand much of a chance in this world and this day and age...things are way hectic out there...Happy Holiday's to you and your family with love Janice

Melanie said...

I mostly agree with you, Tracy! There *are* some good things that come with public schooling (I worked in the school system/classrooms for years), but if I had the chance to do it all over again with my kids, I'd probably choose to homeschool them, especially with the way the world is now.

Karla Neese said...

I am so glad you found what works for your family. That's the most important thing - that we choose what is best for YOUR family alone. Not based on what someone else tells us is right or wrong, etc. I love that you pointed that out so strongly.

I had many friends who did and still do homeschool their children and they are all so bright and talented and wonderful young people. I didn't homeschool ours simply because I knew I couldn't handle it emotionally with some of the issues I had at the time. We did choose to send our girls to public school and were blessed to have them make it through as exceptions. We were also blessed to be part of an excellent school system, one which still has its huge flaws. Our youngest is a senior this year and I'm thanking God that our time is almost over in public school despite our good experience. It's just getting more and more complicated.

Thanks for sharing your heart with us! :)