Friday, November 16, 2012

On My Mind...Becoming Preppers


I have been thinking a lot about becoming better prepared for emergencies - whether they be unemployment, economic collapse or natural disasters. My husband and I have begun to talk about becoming preppers. 

For far too long I've lived on a wing and a prayer with no back up in place and I don't want to live that way anymore. I've been thinking of ways we can be better prepared.

~ Make savings a priority as we continue to pay off debt.
~ Begin to stock up on meats, non-perishable foods, and personal       care items
~ Buy camping equipment - stove, lanterns, sleeping bags
~ Plant a garden in an effort to reduce the grocery bill and learn how to can/freeze extra produce
~ Plant fruit trees and berry bushes
~ Reduce our electricity & water usage
~ Learn how to build a fire, shoot a gun, and other practical skills we (the kids & I) do not know how to do
~ Buy second-hand whenever possible or buy at the lowest prices for home-goods we need
~ Read up on home remedies, gardening, animal care (we have 4 dogs and 2 cats), etc.
~ Make my own homemade cleaners
~ Buy a generator
~ Try new recipes and increase my cooking/baking from scratch

There are a ton of things I need to learn and improve upon. I will begin sharing these things little by little here on my blog. 

My husband grew up in the country so he knows how to do lots of things. Me, on the other hand, know nothing about such things. I'm a city girl through and through! 

Here's to new adventures...

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Tracy, I guess you could say we prep a little. A few years ago there was a bad snow storm right around the first of the month. The stores were almost cleaned out and it was several weeks before everything was restocked. That was just a little disaster and i can only imagine how long a big disaster would take to recover from.

Best wishes to you, there are so many ways to prep- kind of makes my head spin

Lilac Dreams said...

Tracy,
I am looking forward to seeing the ways you work on your prep, I try to stock up when things are on sale with coupons, and freebies. The roughest thing for me to prep for is my perscription medication.

Sandcastle Momma said...

It's funny that you posted this now because the exact same thing is going on at my house. We've been making a few plans, evaluating what we already have and looking into what we need. I've been reading a lot about long term food prep. I'm just scared I won't do it right and will end up poisoning my family lol