Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Taking Care of Me



Women tend to be so very self-critical of themselves and I was a master at it. I got to the point where I stopped wearing makeup, dressing cute, and taking care of myself. I made myself invisible to the outside world.

It has taken me years to get to come to the realization that while I may never have a 20 year old's body, I am still an attractive woman.

I have, at last, begun taking care of me. I bought a few new clothes and accessories. I am trying new makeup techniques and style my hair. I give myself pedicures and spritz on perfume. And I have started a skin care routine.

No longer am I ripping myself to shreds with negative self talk. I am not beating myself up for not being a size 2. Instead I am drinking my water, eating a bit healthier, and am going to the gym when I can fit it in. I'm not going to put my life on hold until I lose weight. 

The more I take care of myself, the better I feel. The better I feel, the more confidence I project. And that, my friends, is a very good thing! 

5 comments:

Karla said...

I am so encouraged. I feel like I've finally found a "friend" even if only cyberly, that understands and has been in the same place I've been. It's like I could have written today's and yesterday's posts myself. I would love for us and more women to encourage each other on this journey. BTW - love the tattoo I see peaking out. :) Rebel on my friend!

Emily Fay said...

It is so tough being a woman sometimes! I struggle with this and try to have positive feelings at being a round woman. :) This is a wonderful post! You look beautiful, by the way!

Tracy said...

Karla, are you on Facebook? Thank you for you encouraging words. It is not easy to have the courage to shake things up. Your Rebel sister, Tracy

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

You look great. Amen sister. That is such a cute dress.

Rosebud said...

Why are we women so hard on ourselves? You don't see men being so self~critical!
When my children were small I know I let myself go ~ doing the whole sweatpants thing. Ugh. I finally have come into my own style and I try not to give a fig what other people think. We're told when we are in our twenties to dress more grownup and when we hit forty we're told to dress younger. Can't win. I think you look lovely. And I want that dress!