Thursday, June 07, 2012

My philosophy on raising children in a crazy world


In our society it appears children are considered to be little monsters who can not be trusted with even the tiniest decision.

Sure, children need guidance but they do not need to be controlled every minute of the day.

There is such a thing as being over-protective which I feel does great  harm because it renders our children socially inept and incapable of making good decisions. They are more apt to follow the crowd.

I want my children to be free thinkers with minds of their own and to know how to handle themselves. I trust them. Do they make mistakes? Sure they do. I make mistakes, too. Being an adult does not make me perfect.

My children know they can count on me to be there when they need me. I am not going to play the "what if" game refusing to let my child do things because of the big bad boogey man.

I get that there are bad people in the world. I am a crime show fanatic. But nine times out of ten, the scum of the world target the weak and vulnerable, the ones who come from dysfunctional homes where love is scarce if it exists at all. That is not our home.

If you want to protect your children be there for them. Listen to them. Love and trust them. Don't be a controlling dictator which causes children to lie, sneak and scheme behind your back.

Whether you like it or not, you can not guard your child 24/7. It's better to give them a healthy dose of love, time, attention. They need to know how to handle various situations that may arise and to know without a doubt they can count on you in time of need. Knowledge is power!

End of rant and stepping off my soapbox for now...

3 comments:

Debra said...

Smile.... this is how I raised Naomi, but it didn't make me popular with church friends. Keep with it--it's a blessing to watch confident children turn into confident adults. Blessings, Debra

Sandy said...

Well said. I love this posting. Lots of truth here. There are some who coddle and do everything for their kids. Then they don't learn to be self sufficient. Sounds like you're doing a great job! Kids need trust and they need love and some structure but not dictatorship.

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

You rant beautifully. I agree 100%!

S
xo