Thursday, April 05, 2012

A Peek at the Garden - Before and After

A few weeks ago my neighbor across the street brought her Jeep over and pulled up four half-dead bushes from in front of my porch. How sad and forlorn this area looked!


I had two burgandy rose plants and daylilies planted in this bed and I added a yellow rose and four red geraniums. I then layered newspaper, weed fabric blocker, and six bags of mulch.

Ah, looks much better!


The next project to tackle was the flower bed to the left. It looked even worse than the first one!



This bed also had daylilies and two pink knock-out roses. I weeded it all out and planted bulbs yesterday: bleeding hearts, dinner plate dahlia, stargazer lilies, gladiolas, and hollyhocks. I hope they grow!


This is what it currently looks like. I haven't put down mulch yet as it has to wait until next payday. Oh, in the white pvc pipe/pot are petunias and I purchased the yellow pot to repot the plant my sister gave me months ago. Can't wait to paint the porch a rich chocolate color...the yellow pot will really pop then!

Thanks for taking a peek at my little garden!

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

looks really nice, Tracy!

all my boxwoods are gone too, a lady and her son from a swap group came and dug up the rest of them.
Hopefully my flower bed will look as nice as yours soon.

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

All that hard work will pay off in no time. I love what mulch does to the garden. The roses will add such a pretty view from the porch. Patty

Ruth said...

You really did a lot of work and it looks so good. Can't wait to see the chocolate paint on the porch. It's all coming together-slowly but surely.

Susan in SC said...

How lovely this will all look! That's a lot of hard work.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I need someone to help me pull out a few shrubs too!

That's a lot of work but it's going to look just fabulous in a few weeks when the flowers fill in.