Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring and Summer Menu


One of the things I dislike the most is trying to come up with meals that everyone will eat each week. So last night I started working on menu ideas for the Spring and Summer months.

Dinners:
~ Ham, macaroni salad or potato salad, rolls
~ Grilled burgers/hotdogs, chips, baked beans
~Barbeque pork sandwiches, chips
~ Barbeque ribs, baked mac & cheese, green beans
~ Caesar salad with crusty bread
~ Homemade pizza
~ Nachos

Lunches:
~ Tuna salad sandwiches or with crackers
~ Egg salad sandwiches
~ Salad
~ Cheese or peanut butter crackers

Breakfasts:
~ Homemade granola bars
~ French toast
~ Western omelette
~ Muffins

Desserts:
~ Ice cream
~ Ice box cake
~ Pudding or Jell-O

Drinks:
~ Water
~ Tea
~ Orange Slush
~ Fruit Slush
~ Lemonade
~ Smoothies

This menu is by no means set-in-stone. It is meant to be a guide to help me when I just can not think of anything that sounds appetizing.

I am also going to making most of our foods from scratch in order to provide better nutrition and lower the grocery bill.

What tips do you use to help you plan your meals?

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

I do something similar to you. I write down "stand-by" things that I have the ingredients for, so as I cook during that shopping period I can see menus I know will work.
Then when I get the urge to try new recipes, I put them in clip on the fridge, check for ingredients and then cook them as I feel like it.

Sometimes I plan out the whole week, but rarely stick 100% to it.

Like you, I am doing everything I can from scratch to spend less. And spending less is getting harder every trip to the store.

Terri said...

Back during the autumn I planned about 70 days of menus (knowing we'd be eating out some days) and it was a help but I didn't try a whole lot of new recipes. I think I'll do the same as you for the Spring.

Sandy said...

Great start on your menu plan Tracy. The most important thing is planning, stocking the pantry when things are on sale and having ingredients on-hand. I make a huge salad that will keep for one whole week. I use fresh greens, fresh broccoli, radish and carrots. It's keeps really well and doesn't get soggy. First I wash the greens really well and then use my salad spinner to get all the water out then everything is stored in an airtight container. It makes it really easy when we're hungry and don't have time to cook a huge meal. We keep fresh salmon or cooked chicken breast on-hand to put in the salad so we have some protein. Our struggle is that we both work full-time so good planning is essential otherwise we end up going out to eat and that costs too much. Groceries are getting expensive too. When you have kids at home, it makes it even more of a challenge. When our grandkids come to visit our menu looks a lot like yours.

Hugs, Sandy

Carol said...

Your menu sounds very good. Like you, I try to make/cook much of what we eat from scratch. It does make a very big difference in our budget.

Debra said...

Loved the picture at the top of this! Reminded me of the retro teen books I love to read from the 40's, 50's, and 60's by Rosamond du Jardin, Anne Emery, Betty Cavanna and others. Thanks for sharing that--it totally made my day!!