Monday, February 06, 2012

Sarah, Plain and Tall

“There is always something to miss, no matter where you are.”
Patricia MacLachlan, Sarah, Plain And Tall


Every Sunday afternoon we go to Mama's to visit, eat together and watch a movie. This week we watched Sarah Plain and Tall which is my personal favorite.

Set in Kansas 1910, it is the story of how Sarah Wheaton meets widower, Jacob Witting, and his children, Anna and Caleb, through an ad he placed. He wasn't looking for love - just for someone to "make a difference".


Not only does Sarah make a difference, she wins the hearts of Jacob, Anna, and Caleb.


I love the portrayal of Sarah (played by Glenn Close) because she is spirited, independent, giving, and a wee bit stubborn. She talks of her home back in Maine and describes the beauty of the sea. She sings songs and picks flowers and brings beauty and laughter once again to The Witting home.

There are two other movies in this series - Skylark and Winter's End. They all are family friendly movies you can enjoy again and again. Whenever I watch them, they never cease to fail in giving me homemaking inspiration.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

From my inspired heart to yours,

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

I love all 3 of those movies and have watched them with my children and even my husband.

they are timeless classics, aren't they?

Debra said...

I love the first two movies and I think I still have Skylark on video (my favorite of the movies). So dreamy and inspiring, indeed! Especially love the aunts, but also the record player and the way they all danced outside. I could go on and on.... Blessings, Debra

Terri said...

I do not like Christopher Walken, don't don't don't...but Katie convinced me long ago that this was a movie worth seeing and it was so worth while. I also loved Skylark, but don't believe I've seen Winter's End.

Susan said...

I love those movies. Glen Close did a great job. That was the first time I remember seeing Christopher Walken.
Love those prairie movies!

Rosewalk Cottage said...

I haven't seen these movies but you've sparked my interest. I love the first photo of the lady in the field with the flower basket.
I noticed that you like the Back Up Plan. Do you happen to like Alex O'Loughlin?
~Clara

Tracy said...

Clara - I do like the Back Up Plan movie, as I like most of Jennifer Lopez's movies. That was the first time I have seen Alex O'Loughlin.

Terri - I don't care for Christopher Walken either.

delightfuleclecticabode.com said...

Tracy,

I love the movie "Sarah Plain and Tall." I have seen it twice. I haven't seen the other movies. I imagine back in those days is was common to send for a bride without ever having to meet first. Glen Close did a fantastic job portraying Sarah.

~Sandy