Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Practicing Self-Care


Practicing self-care does not come easy to me. I am used to making sure everything gets done that needs doing, putting my family's needs first and not asking for help. But these past two weeks have taught me that self-care is a good thing.

I have had no choice but to ask for help. It is a humbling position to be in. Help with my home. Help with grocery shopping. Help with lifting things I am not yet allowed to lift.

I am learning to sleep when tired, eat when hungry, and to set boundaries. No longer do I allow others to mistreat or disrespect me. Good food is nourishing to both the body and the spirit. You can't be strong if you are eating poorly. Sleep is essential in recovery. A warm shower also helps to lift the spirits.

A clean and pretty home is practicing self-care. We deserve homes that bring us comfort and are a haven. I haven't been able to do much in the way of home-keeping, but I keep the dishes washed up, clear flat surfaces and do the laundry. Those go a long way in helping keep me sane.

Instead of fighting against what is, I accept it and am trying to make the best of it. A stack of books to read, writing in my journal, watching movies, and giving attention to my children and fur-babies are helping keep me occupied.

I am learning my lessons well. 

3 comments:

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

I love the term self care. I think we can all be guilty of that. Your blog is beautiful and so are your thoughts on this subject. I will be back to read more. Patty

delightfuleclecticabode.com said...

Tracy,

Yes, we are trained to take care of everything and everyone else but forget to put the oxygen mask on ourselves first so that we can assist others. Self-care first, setting boundaries oh can I relate. It sounds like you are doing a great job practicing self-care.

~Sandy

Debra said...

Yes you are! This is a good way to live all the time, actually--finding the beauty and joy in all our circumstances and making the best of all situations. It's an adventurous way to live, I'm finding.

Thanks for your comment at my blog this morning! I added something to my post after your comment--a line about how we customize our lives better, too, when we learn to say no and ask for help when we need it. Looks like we're learning the same lessons at the same time! :) Keep enjoying.... Blessings, Debra