Monday, May 16, 2011

A Home of Peace


I have just returned home from the VA Hospital with husband. He has PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and a noticeably shorter fuse, so he is trying medication to help before his symptoms get out of hand. He is not a complainer and is a man of few words as far as discussing feelings, but he is a wonderful, loving man and I hope the meds do him good. There is only so much a wife can do, but the best thing is to make a peaceful home-life.

Me? I am off work today and plan to use my time cleaning and decluttering my home and being with my children. I have put a roast on in the crockpot and will bake a chocolate cake for dessert. I will make a pitcher of sweet tea for my husband to enjoy when he comes home this evening and fruit punch for the children.

When my love comes home, we'll talk about our days and then we, as a family, will gather around the table to eat a good homemade dinner. I will clean up the kitchen and go rest and relax with the family reading and watching tv and when our tummies have settled from dinner, we'll have dessert. Soon after that, it will be time for bed for morning comes early and with it back to work.

But tonight, there will be peace, love, and togetherness. 

7 comments:

sarah said...

You make a beautiful life for your family. I'm sorry about your husband's illness, I hope he recovers soon.

Laurie said...

Hope all goes well with the medication for your husband.
My husband is constantly going back and forth to the VA Hospital for one thing or another. But that's just old age!
I think you are doing a fabulous job with working outside and inside the home. Don't forget to take care of you!!
Hugs))

FlowerLady said...

Dear Tracy ~ My heart goes out to you and your husband and to all military personnel who deal with PTSD. My nieces husband went to Afghanistan 2 or three times in the last few years and he is having some stress issues also.

As a loving wife, you can do much to help keep your home a peaceful atmosphere.

Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

Kathryn said...

I do hope you take care of yourself, as you seem to be the anchor at the moment. Trying so hard to make it all work, don't let yourself burn out. Take good care of you!

Penny Ann said...

I wanted to make a chocolate poundcake today but was too tired. Yard work, housework, writing, sewing...There's only so much time in a day's time! lol More like there's only so much energy in me.

I hope the meds work well for Albert. I've been wondering if my sil and his brother will have the same need when they return from Afghanistan.

Truth is I also wonder if my husband isn't suffering due to his EMS job. Don't dare suggest that to him though.

Jackie said...

Your day sounds great! I'm sorry about your husband's illness. My husband deals with depression and it's hard sometimes to be the one holding it all together. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Jackie

Debra said...

Aw, such a peaceful, sweet post (and I loved the illustration, too). My prayers are going out for your husband--may he find the freedom to open up about the things most important to him and may he feel much better soon. I know how much he must appreciate his sweet, helpful wife, especially at a time like this! Blessings, Debra