Sunday, April 10, 2011

Suzie Homemaker Doesn't Live Here Anymore



After reading Debra's post yesterday titled, A Funeral for Suzy, I realized in a way I have been grieving the loss of being a full-time homemaker. When I started work back in November, I had no idea I would still be working outside the home six months later.

I find it hard. Hard to get things done that I previously had loads of time for. I haven't been able to read a good book in many months....I'd lost interest in just about everything and nothing seemed appealing. Spiritually I lost my center and didn't pray nor pick up my Bible for months. I have been in a stagnant place. 

But I am beginning to come out of it. I am at a different stage of life right now. I would prefer to be home full-time and I will be again. How am I gonna make this happen? 

~ I am going to keep clipping coupons and matching them to sale items at the grocery store.

~ I will plan my meals each week based on what's on sale, look for new quick & easy dishes and get my girls to help with the baking of treats.

~ I am going to create a plan for my homemaking and do a little each morning and each afternoon.

~ Save change in my big glass jug and tuck dollars back as I am able, while I keep contributing to my Christmas Club account.

~ Keep lights, computer, and various items off and/or unplugged when not in use.

~ Clean up the kitchen right after dinner.

~ Do one load of laundry each day.

~ Make Sunday a day of REST.

~ And, most importantly, trust God to make a way out of the workforce and back home full time.

7 comments:

Debra said...

Oh, thanks for linking to my post! I'm glad it made how you're feeling clearer--it even did that for me, too. :) I wish I'd known what was going on sooner! (I am so slow sometimes....)

As Tom has been home, I've had to discover ways to get everything done and still have lots of time for myself and well, it's been hard. But God's been patient and has shown me how to respect the pattern of my days and make wiser choices.

I can't even imagine working outside the home (I'd not be organized enough), but I'll pray that you'll still be able to do all the things you enjoy. There is a way, it's just hard to find it sometimes. So been there, done that--and am still there in lots of ways.

Keep up the good work with coupons! They've helped me save tons of money and I'm especially grateful for the sites I've linked to at Facebook. They do all the work for me--they send me alerts on my home page when the newest, greatest coupons pop up online.

Hang in there! I've been so convicted lately to stay *determined* to make my life what I want it to be. Determination goes a long way, I'm finding. Keep your goal in sight daily and you will get there--I just know it. Blessings, Debra

Mrs. White said...

That's a good plan, Tracy. I hope it happens for you soon!

Blessings
Mrs. White
The Legacy of Home

Kathryn said...

The hearthkeepers, who do more than cook and clean, but because of their loving care of the home it is a sacred space, but more than that, they are able to tend to matters of their own hearts.

It is an appalling state of affairs that we have become slaves to the money system. If we don't work, we can't pay our bills. Now, it takes more than one adult's efforts away from home to pay the bills. When the heartkeepers lose themselves, we are all lost. This is a time of assessing what is the most important thing we need to tend to as if our lives depend on it. May you choose the matters of the heart without totally exhausting yourself.

Kathy in Illinois said...

I am sorry you have been having a hard time. I wondered why you haven't posted. My prayers will be with you and I hope you will keep praying. You are doing a wonderful job with your work and homekeeping. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Your family knows you love them and that is the most important thing. I'm glad you're keeping Sunday to rest. We always do. I think if God had to rest on the 7th day, then we should too!
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Anonymous said...

I think the hardest part about working out of the home (towards finances) is having less time to be frugal.

If you focus on your top homemaking things (definitely seek the family's help), perhaps you can have more time to focus on frugal things. I often see that many (although not all) families who live on more than 1 income continue to spend as such, and thus the cycle gets harder to get out of.

My husband and I may not be the "norm". I am home full-time while we live on a smaller-than-average income. But we sacrifice a lot of stuff that most people can't do without so it can be possible.

Your goals sound great and I hope they help you to get back to where you want to be. God bless, Lyn

Penelope said...

That last one will probably be most effective, and those others will get you on the road back home.

It's something I struggle with often, but then I wouldn't change anything either.

Karla said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts and feelings. I've been working full time since my youngest was in 1st grade. She is now a 10th grader and I'm still not used to it. I struggle with the same stagnancy and the same war with priorities and too many things thrown into the mix.