Thursday, March 24, 2011

Flower Garden and Plans


{photo: Google images}

I am always anxious to leave work and return to the comforts of home. Yes, work awaits me at home, but it is a soul-satisfying kind of work.

Today I worked in the back yard trimming hedges and picking up the junk Zeus manages to find amongst the bushes. I swept the back steps and deck, wound the garden hose back up, and enjoyed the fresh air and bird-song.

I found a lovely garden statue that I've ordered to go in my front flower bed amongst the Burgandy Roses. Here she is:
Isn't she lovely?

I have many projects planned for my yard but this year I want to focus on getting those two front flower beds filled with gorgeous flowers and finishing it up with edging and mulch. This is the first thing everyone sees when they pass our home and stop to visit, thus my desire to make it pretty.

The Burgandy Roses are growing splendidly and are plentiful in blooms. The Pink Knock-Out Roses are gorgeous. One is doing quite well while the other is not so much, but I believe it is about to take off. It is green and it has a new rosebud about to open. So all is not lost!

I have a question for those of you who are garden-savvy. What companion flowers should I plant alongside my roses? And how do you keep the beds flowering throughout the year? It all seems terribly confusing to me, so I would appreciate any advice my knowledgeable gardening friends can provide. We are in Zone 8.

Well, it is time for me to call it a night. The morning comes early and I need my beauty sleep!

Wishing you sweet dreams...

5 comments:

Cleo said...

I like planting candy tuft to go with the roses. Beautiful in spring and it covers the ground, accenting everything nicely.

Kelley said...

I can't wait for spring to finally get here~ we are still getting rain here in southern California~we've had so much this year! I am not complaining because we've needed it & I really do like the rain but I am anxious warm weather so I can my annuals planted!
Have a wonderful Friday & weekend!

Penny Ann said...

I took note at a local packing shed none for it's beautiful landscaping. They cut the knock out roses back pretty hard this past winter. I did the same with my yellow knock out and it's loaded with buds this year.

When you cut them back stick a few of the pieces into a pot or the flower bed to see if they will root. I'll tell you honestly that if you put six sticks into the ground you'll probably get only one but that's one more you won't have to buy for other beds in the future.

I'm still fairly novice at this business of gardening but I have culled that much from it thus far.

Laurie said...

Hi Tracy,
I love your garden statue!
With my roses I plant lots of herbs as well as pansies and dianthus. Our biggest worry down here is the dreaded black spot. I read somewhere that planting garlic, onions or chives helps keep the aphids at bay and help prevent black spot. I haven't tried that yet so I don't know if its true.
Enjoy your garden!
Hugs))

Debra said...

Gardening just right *is* terribly confusing. heh. Gardening is definitely one of those live and learn things. I think when adding flowers around roses the thing to remember is to plant flowers that look nothing like roses so that there will be a nice contrast. As your first commenter added, candy tuft is a great choice.

The statue is wonderful!