Saturday, October 16, 2010

Concert Adventure



So we went to the concert last night - me, Kayla, Kenzie, and my sister Laura - and it was awesome! They really put on a great show. My first concert was too see Bon Jovi with Skid Row as the opening act in the early '90s and now my girls' first concert was Bon Jovi, too. Pretty neat!

When the concert was over we headed for shuttle lines. I'm guessing we waited about 45 minutes to get on the bus. Only it was the wrong one! The sad part is I had asked two different workersr if it was going to the place we parked and both said yes. After a 30 minute ride on the wrong bus, we were finally dropped off two blocks away from the main beach and had to hike back to find our shuttle.

We stopped and I asked some State Troopers where our shuttle was loading after explaining our fiasco (which never would have happened if Alfred had been with us. Oy! Thank goodness I don't live in New York and have to take the subway!). It was 11:09pm at this time. The shuttle was supposed to run until midnight - that's what was advertised and what the Troopers were briefed. They stopped running at 11pm!

The girls were beginning to get cold and we were several miles away from where we'd parked. I was thinking our only hope was to hike our tired behinds back to the car (something I was not looking forward to). But one Trooper told us to wait there.

He let the girls sit in his car and turned the heater on for them and gave them cookies. He was a super nice guy who chatted with us while waiting. (Thank you Officer Furakawa!) Alfred called and asked where we were and I told him "standing with the Troopers". Hee, I think he thought we were in trouble. Heavens to Betsy, I can't imagine why he'd think such a thing! I have never even had a speeding ticket. Friendly Officer Furakawa jokingly says, "Put your hands behind your back!" loud enough for him to hear. Oh, that police humor!

Corporal Joe Piggot gave us a ride back to our car. (Thank you!) He is frequently interviewed on our local news stations so I knew who he was. I was just so thankful we didn't have to walk!

I finally crawled into bed at 12:40am, thankful to be off my feet and in my comfy bed.

What an adventure!

7 comments:

Tammy N said...

My first concert was for the group Alabama way back in the day.

Glad ya'll got home safely!

Tammy N said...

You know what?? I take that back...I believe The Statler Brothers was my first ever concert...with Hank Williams Jr second...a woman waved a gun at him at that one and I said I would never go to another one of his again!...then it was Alabama...yep...I'm so old.............

Sandcastle Momma said...

I got a chuckle out of imagining what Alfred must have thought when he heard "Put your hands behind your back!" LOL

I'm glad y'all enjoyed the concert - I saw them back in the 1980s and they were great.

Did you tell the girls that normally when the police put someone in their car they don't give them cookies? LOL

Terri said...

Pooh just commented and lost it. Wanted to say we were in the area this week, at Orange Beach, just a two block section away from the concert venue and I kept thinking you lived nearby. We went through your town on our way back to I-10 yesterday morning.

Next time I'm down that way I'm going to let you know ahead so we can meet up and have coffee. It seemed a shame to be so near and couldn't remember where you lived (I was thinking Robertsdale but wasn't sure) and not see one another!

My Vintage Studio said...

Glad the concert was fun.
Until your bus event!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Sharon

Tracy said...

Terri, I sent you an email. :)

SM, we watch Cops all the time so they pretty much know the bad guys don't get cookies. LOL

Karla said...

Le sigh. He's still got it goin' on!