Monday, August 23, 2010

Randomness



~ I saw a hummingbird yesterday, the first one this year, reminding me that it's time to put the hummingbird feeder back up.

~ I began pulling up my plants from the garden, getting it ready for its Winter rest. We had grand plans for yard work and cleaning out the shed, but the rains returned. Mother Nature has plans of her own which can not be tamed. The work will have to wait for another day.

~ We have had a very wet August. My tomatoes did not fare well with all the rain. I'm not sure if I will plant a garden next Spring. It's a lot of work and I hate weeding! Perhaps container gardening is the way to go?

~ I've been battling sugar ants in the kitchen for weeks now. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

~ Mama used to make Oatmeal, Raisin, Chocolate Chip Cookies for Christmas every year when I was growing up. I made some this weekend. My, were they good! The secret is to use golden raisins in your cookies for they are softer and sweeter. There's is nothing better than homemade cookies with a glass of milk.

~ I was up at 4:45am this morning. Zeus had to go out and then he wanted to play! So I stayed up in order to let Alfred sleep until the alarm goes off since he has to work. I hope I can get a nap in later!

May your day be filled with beauty...

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Dear Tracy,
I know what you mean about gardening. It is a lot of work and all this rain certainly hasn't helped. Most of our tomatoes are just yuky!
I hope you got a nap in today, cause I might stop by for some of those cookies!
Hugs))

Debra said...

Loved your random post. :)

As for gardening.... awww, who cares about weeds? :) Many plants grow fine right along with the weeds. But here's what I also do--I put down layers of newspaper then cover them with grass clippings. It's amazing how well that keeps the weeds down. I do that in all my flower beds and in my vegetable gardens, too, and it makes my life easier. Just a thought. I've read about this idea in many places. Blessings, Debra (Thanks for your comment at my blog today!)

Annie said...

I always have such great plans for gardening but it seems like every year my ideas are bigger than my abilities. Oh well - there is always something a little new from year to year.

Sugar ants. Can't help you. I keep a bottle of ammonia based spray and just go at it whenever they invade. **sigh**

Shannon said...

those cookies sound amazing. in fact, you've inspired me to make some this week. what a lovely photo, too. where was that taken?

beautiful day to you as well. xoxo

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Tracy,

Mmm, oatmeal cookies are so yummy! They are almost guilt-free, too :).

I hope your garden did well for you this year. We've given up and started eating our weeds (which always seem to be our best crop).

I think you're supposed to put boric acid or Borax along the walls to keep ants out, but I haven't tried it. Good luck!

Love,

Marqueta

Rosemi said...

I've been getting ants too. I was just leaving them alone hoping they were just passing through until the 'big invasion'. I had to get nasty with the ant spray.

Thanks for you visit {{hug}}

Blessings!

Mrs. Staggs said...

Hi Tracy,

Gardening is at times more work than at others, that's for sure. I usually enjoy it though. It's my thinking time, and a good way for me to get some exercise.

Our weather made for less in the way of tomatoes and especially berries this year. Even the commercial berries were fewer, and not as nice as usual. It's a disappointment, I know.