Thursday, July 29, 2010

Swirling Thoughts and Questions

 
There is nothing worse than when finances are already tight and you accidentally overdraw your account to the tune of $270, which throws off next month's proposed budget. Oh, I was furious yesterday! I was mad at myself for making such a mistake, mad about our situation, and just plain ol' mad at the world in general. I had a big chip on my shoulder.

I plotted and planned how I could transform my life from a pauper to a princess. I started thinking about how I have a man who loves me and works so hard to provide for our family and how privileged I am to be able to stay home to create a cozy nest for our family and raise our children myself. Then I began to feel guilty.

Is it wrong to want more? To live an abundant life? To live a life free from financial struggle? These questions I asked of myself. Perhaps my thoughts on abundance have been skewed. What if, instead, I focused on love, learning to be content with what we have, practicing the art of cheerful frugality and simplicity? Would I be any happier?

I realized, yet again, that my attitude could make a difference. Long-term, forced frugality is not an easy life to live, but it is our reality for the time being. I decided that I will :

~ Not complain about lack, but will be thankful for what we have.

~ Love, serve, and give to others freely without expecting anything in return.

~ Do instead of buy.

~ Pray and pay our bills; try to save money, and reduce expenses.

~ Make our home and yard beautiful on a teeny tiny budget.

~ Try new recipes; keep our nest clean and tidy; work in the yard.

~ Create a joyful home atmosphere.


6 comments:

sarah said...

love is always the answer to everything.

I don't think its wrong to wish for more. Infact I think its important. Open your heart to abundance. Believe it can come. Even if you don't win the lottery, you will be amazed at the results. Ask for wealth. It will be yours.

after all, doesn't the Bible say, ask and ye shall receive.

FlowerLady said...

Mistakes happen, lessons are learned. Every day is new and our attitude can make us or break us.

I laid down for a nap earlier and before sleeping I was reading from a book about not being anxious. Lots of good thoughts and verses in this book. It is so easy to fall into a depressed mood because of things going on in our lives and we have to remember that 'greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world.' Being thankful when things are down is harder than when things are going grand.

You are on the right path. You admit your mistakes, you want to lovingly care for your DH, your kids and your home. You are doing the best with what you have. You are searching more ways to be even better at what you do.

I just did a quick search on being thankful, as I needed this today myself, and here are a couple of verses I found. May they encourage you, and may you feel God's love, peace and strength surrounding and flowing through you.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. I Th. 5:18

Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Ps.62:8

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord Col.3:23

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Ps. 136:1

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Tracy - A while back I looked at your amazon widget thing and noticed that you wanted the book- "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer. Have you been able to get this book yet? If not, I would like to send you my copy. I have read it and am ready to pass it along. Just let me know.
Oh by the way, don't feel to bad - last week - I messed up our checking account- I forgot to write down the amount of money that I spent for groceries - and I ended up having to pay a 50.00 - for 2 things that went through. I was very upset with myself as well. So you are not alone. I like your attitude about it - we will focus on the good.
Just let me know about the book.
Thanks,

Lisa :O)

Carolyn said...

Tracy,
I've done this before and really worked myself into a financial pickle. But you know what? With prayer it all worked out in the end and nothing fell apart. I know how hard it is to keep things in perspective when money is so tight but God has promised to look after us and he will! You know this :)
I love the list at the end of your post, your heart is definetely in the right place. And I do believe that we are meant to have abundance, as He sees it for us.
Carolyn

Amari said...

I love your blog so much that I've gone back in time to read the old ones (from before I found your blog). I've finally even created a blog account so that I don't have to be "anonymous" anymore. Now, maybe I'll be inspired to blog a bit myself!

Lyn said...

Hi Tracy,
Everyone makes mistakes. You can only get back up on the "frugal horse" so to speak, and it sounds as if you have the right perspective.

Each day is a journey, and I hope your days will be blessed.