Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How Alfred and I Met

Alfred and I met when I was a junior in high school. At the time, I was dating a guy named Bill and Alfred was dating Bill's sister, Kelly. I thought Alfred was the-most-gorgeous guy ever! But we were both dating others, so I didn't think much more of it....but darn he was hot!
{Alfred the way he looked when we met}

Eventually I broke things off with Bill while he was at Basic Training for the Marines. I knew it wouldn't work and though the timing was bad there was no since in prolonging the inevitable. I went on about my life.

The county fair came to town that September. I went with a girlfriend. As we were walking through the fairgrounds trying to decide what we wanted to ride first, I heard my name being called. I stopped and looked around, but not seeing anyone, I turned and kept walking. I heard my name again, louder this time. Again I turned around and saw Alfred walking towards me! *sigh*

I am sad to say I ditched my friend and spent the afternoon riding the rides, walking and talking to Alfred. I was in seventh heaven. He was still dating Kelly, but it was totally platonic between us at that time. At the end of the night, I walked with Alfred to the gate because he had to leave before I did and he asked me for a hug. Wowsers! We had a lovely time that day, but days, weeks, and months passed and I didn't see or hear from him again, until.....

{Alfred & I when we were dating. I was so tiny then!}

the following January. January 26, 1992 to be exact. I had been out with my friend and when I returned Mama said a guy had called for me. Turns it out it was Alfred and he'd left his number so I could return his call. We talked for hours that night. He was now single (yay!) and he asked me out. Of course I said yes!

{Alfred and I on our wedding day. June 29, 1992}

Alfred asked me to marry him February 15, 1992 - just weeks after we had begun dating. Again, I said yes! Mama knew from the start that he would be the one I married because she said I looked at him differently than I had any other boy. *smile* We married in June that same year, right after my high school graduation. We didn't have a proper wedding - we got married at the courthouse in Pensacola, Florida. It didn't really matter...we were in love! I was 17 and he had just turned 20 in April.

So that is the story of how we met and married.

{Me, Alfred and Kendall when he was a baby in 1993.}

And we lived happily ever after....

6 comments:

FlowerLady said...

A sweet love story Tracy. Congrats to both of you.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering my question! It's a lovely story and I liked seeing the pictures when you both were younger! You've had a great marriage and 3 great kids. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on weddings and they divorce in a year! You both are truly in love! Good job!
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Stephani said...

I loved reading this story and seeing the old pictures!

Sandcastle Momma said...

What a great story! And wow 17 is young but obviously you knew what you wanted and you went for it!
I love happy endings.

sarah said...

aw, what a sweet story. You married so young! but of course you did, you found your perfect guy. :-)

Lyn said...

I love to hear stories like yours. I think it's so sweet that you've been together so long.