Saturday, May 15, 2010

Real Life and Gratitude

Life is not always perfect. That has certainly been the case for us recently. We have been going through trials and with them discouragement and anxiety. My husband's work has slowed considerably. The bank account was overdrawn a hefty sum. The grocery budget for the week was a third of what it is normally. 

God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine. ~David Nicholas

At first I allowed myself a pity-party, but that did no good. I certainly wasn't a joy to be around. But then I felt determination rise up within me. I was angry and would not go down without a fight! I determined that if I had to stay in my kitchen all day, every day, my family was going to eat and be satisfied.

Let God's promises shine on your problems. ~Corrie Ten Boom

I've spent the last few days in much prayer and Bible reading. And my eyes were opened to some truths and needed changes in me and my life. It is not easy to face the ugliness within, but it is necessary to change...letting go of the bad, replacing those things with good.

Peace is not the absence of affliction, but the presence of God. ~Author Unknown

Now I have a measure of peace. These trials are temporary. My trust is in Him. I may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime;
Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5
 
And now, for gratitude:
~ I am thankful for creative ideas for meals.
~ I am thankful for tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers planted in the garden.
~ I am thankful for the Word of God and its Truth.
~ I am thankful for being able to watch baby birds and their mamas.
~ I am thankful for the couple who wanted bushes and were willing to come dig them up from our yard to use in theirs.

May you have a blessed week!
 
  

11 comments:

cathleen said...

(((((Tracy))))) Thinking of you!!!!

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Tracy~ It is so refreshing to hear of others that are going through trials and at the same time their relationship with Jesus is getting deeper. I love the quotes that you added.
God's ways are not like our ways and sometimes it is so hard to understand where He is leading but I would much rather have Him in trial than not at all.
God bless and keep you guys and bring you out on the other side like gold!
Lisa :o)

Rhonda said...

sending you a hug, Tracey
you certainly have a good attitude about it all, and problems like you are having make for long worried days, but then they go by before you know it.

Melanie said...

Tracy, what an inspirational post. I have to admit - my attitude towards life in general has been terrible lately. I know I need to change that...it is so hard. God bless you for the reminder!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Wonderful post Tracy. I need to keep my eyes on Him all of the time.
Blessings,
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy,
This is the first time I've commented though I have read your blog fot quite awhile. Just wanted to tell you that your blog is one of the handful I check any day I get online. Just beautiful and so inspiring and encouraging! But most of all, I want to let you know that I too am praying for you and your family. My husband's job keeps laying off people all around him, and I found out yesterday that my job is being downsized, but I'll still have a job in a different area. It is so easy sometimes to get our eyes off the Lord and on the problem, but like you did, we have to determine to hold on to what we know, that the Lord is good and he is still in control.
Praying that your week is filled with blessings!!
Char in Texas

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your trials. I'm glad to see you are trusting God and are doing everythig you can to be happy for your family. Things will work out. I will pray for you and your family. God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Gae said...

Dear Tracy,
Praying for you
The fact you have found those beautiful bible quotes I think must have kuplifted you and has helped me as well
Blessings for you all

Laurie said...

Hi Tracy ~
Thinking of you. We have been through some hard times too (when it rains it pours) ~ just keep doing what you are doing, things will work out.
Sending love and hugs))

gail said...

Hello Tracy,

I wish we lived close by so I could share some of our garden produce with you, but alas we live on the other side of the world. So I send a prayer that you will be richly blessed and that you may continue to find the peace of our Lord surrounding you always. I am so grateful to be able to have read your post today.

Blessings

Carolyn said...

Absolutely inspiring Tracy! Things will get better soon :)
God Bless
Carolyn