Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One Day at a Time

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." ~Matthew 6:33-34

There is such wisdom in these verses. How often I have gotten myself all worked up over imagined catastrophes and "what ifs". It is usually all for nought. Time I can never get back. Wasted.

Though we are going through trying times right now, I am not going to worry myself with what tomorrow may bring. Instead, I am going to focus on today.

What can I do to bring joy to my family?

What meal can I cook that they will enjoy, nourishing both body and spirit?

How can I bring encouragement to my husband?

What homemaking needs to be done today?

Is there any area of the yard that needs attention?

See, when I take my mind off of myself and my feelings, I find it so much easier to give of myself to my family. I can't mope around the house feeling sorry for myself, as tempting as it may be. I have to build myself up in the Word and smile. I have to be a little silly and laugh, for my family's sake. If Mama is happy and smiling, then they do not worry too much, which is as it should be.

There is great comfort in knowing I am not walking this fiery trial alone. Jesus is right there with me and will see me through. Whatever trials you may be going through today, know that He is with you, too!

 

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Tracy
Our family went through 2 really lean income years - butr my children say now that they did not know we were poor, and trust me, we were poor.
They thought we were just people that "did stuff" -like cooking, baking, making things, fixing everything we could, -like Martha Stewart did stuff.
We were not at all like Martha but we stayed really busy and were happy.

Try to keep smiling, and I pray things are better for you all very soon.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What an encouraging post! We are not alone and we can choose to have hope - even in hopeless situations - that is what I am learning through this season of my life.
Thanks so much, Lisa :o)

Lyn said...

I love Rhonda's thoughts. I think every family has their tough times in life. Growing up with a single mom we did not have it easy. I always told my mom that I didn't really know how much she struggled. Parents have a lot to do with the atmosphere of the home. It's good to look for the joys and blessings even through the clouds.

Rosemi said...

So true!

Anonymous said...

My first time commenting on your blog, Tracy. I thought this message was encouraging....for everyone not just the people who are having financial difficulties.

Thanks for sharing and God Bless. Debbi