Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hollyhocks

Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock. ~Henry Ward Beecher, Star Papers: A Discourse of Flowers
I planted Hollyhock seeds last year, but they failed to grow. Imagine my surprise when we went to visit Mama on Mother's Day and there standing proudly along the fence was a grand Hollyhock!
 

6 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Very pretty Tracy. Wish I could grow hollyhocks down here, but alas, they don't like our heat and humidity.

Have a nice day today.

FlowerLady

Carolyn said...

I absolutely love hollyhocks! I've tried, very unsuccessfully i might add, to grow them many times but no luck...Lucky you to find such a beauty in your mama's garden!

Rhonda said...

hollyhocks are so pretty show-y.
I've never grown them but I was told they re-seed and should come back every year.

Anonymous said...

I love hollyhocks! Those red ones are beautiful. We've always had hollyhocks. When I was a child my mom would make hollyhock dolls for me. I did the same for my daughter. Now I'm 58 and make them for myself!! Have you made hollyhock dolls? God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Jolie said...

Those are beautiful. I'm not very familiar with them since I'm a beginner gardener. I did plant some marigolds today :)

Sharon said...

Those are so pretty! I've never tried to grow them, but should try.