Saturday, May 01, 2010

Contentment



Hebrews 13:5 - Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Contentment is not an easy thing to come by in this day and age. We are bombarded with flashy advertising that tries to convince us that who we are is not good enough, so we will run out and buy goods and services that are not necessary to a good life. We think more money will solve our problems. We become jealous of those who seem outwardly successful. And on and on it goes...

Jesus didn't promise us a life of ease. No, he said there would be trials and tribulations, but all hope is not lost.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. ~ John 16:33

It's time to turn away from the worldly messages of mindless consumerism and stop trying to keep up with our family, friends, and neighbors. I am choosing to get off the merry-go-round and get back to basics. 

No longer will I:

~ Worry whether or not my clothing is fashionable. If I am clean and wearing clothes I like, who cares what they think?

~ Let the beauty industry tell me whether or not I am beautiful. I am beautiful for I am made in God's image!

~ Try to conform to the world or look to them for answers. God has the answers I need and He won't lead me astray.

~ Carry guilt from the past with me. Romans 8: 1(AMP) says, "THEREFORE, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit."

 Therefore, I choose to rejoice in the portion that God sees fit to give me - whether it be little or much. Contentment often has to be learned, but it is easier when you are following your heart's desire. For me, that is a life of threaded with Jesus, beauty, simple pleasures, and gratitude. Woven together, this becomes the foundation for a life of simplicity.

Psalm 37:16 It is better to be godly and have little than to be evil and rich. 

 

4 comments:

FlowerLady said...

(((Tracy))) ~ Yesterday and today's posts are really good. We are bombarded daily by things that aren't good for us, physically, mentally and spiritually and your posts are very encouraging and uplifting. May you feel the love and peace of God surrounding and flowing through you as you go about taking care of your home and family.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Very good post post, Tracy. You have just written the secret to happiness. God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Laurie said...

Hi Tracy,
True contentment is a joy to the heart. It sounds like you have found yours...
Happy May Day!

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Hello Tracy - I have only recently come across your blog, but I wanted to tell you that I love this post. It is SO very true and some of the exact things that I have been thinking lately. Thank you so much for the reminder.
Lisa :o)