Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Simple Days at Home



Life has been wonderfully good and simple. I have been puttering around the house cleaning and tidying up. I cook and wash dishes several times each day. I have made time for reading, journaling, and Bible reading. I bought a skein of yarn and have been practicing crocheting. I sewed a button on a pair of Alfred's work pants. I sit outside and enjoy the sunshine and refreshing breeze while watching the birds and squirrels.

One of my rose bushes has exploded in bright beautiful blooms. It has been cooler in the mornings the past couple of days. I take advantage of it by opening all the windows and leaving the air conditioner off. It stays pretty comfortable in the house.

The girls made sock puppets and have been playing outdoors in the afternoons after their lessons are done. We have recently learned about bees, reflexes, skin, weather, and frogs in addition to our math, handwriting/copywork, and reading. We will start a new read aloud today: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I loved that book a child and dreamed of living on a farm with cute little pig of my own.

I'll make a list of meals and plan my grocery shopping around what's on sale at the market this week. I think I'll bake a cake today. Chocolate, of course! These are the things that make up my life. A life built of simple days at home. 

Gather the crumbs of happiness and they will make you a loaf of contentment. ~Author Unknown

 

10 comments:

Laurie said...

Dear Tracy,
It sounds like you are really enjoying your new home and this lovely Spring weather.
I love simple homemaking days the best.
I remember my third grade teacher reading out loud Charlotte's Web and I fell in love with it.
Save me a piece of that chocolate cake!

Rhonda said...

simple days are the best days to me too.

Carolyn said...

It sounds like a wonderful way to spend your days!

Take care,
Carolyn

Rosemi said...

Sounds like heaven. You are an inspiration!

sarah said...

it all sounds so tranquil and lovely :-)

Rhonda said...

Tracy, I always feel so calm after reading your blog. The peace you have comes through each post. I agree, the weather is beautiful today! I've always enjoyed hearing Charlotte's Web read aloud. After reading this, I now have the urge to dig out my chocolate cake recipe. Have a wonderful day!

Penelope said...

Is that a picture from your home??? It's stunning! It looks like a dream!

Tracy said...

Penelope, no that is not my home! It's gorgeous though, isn't it? It is a picture from Country Living, I believe.

Karen said...

What a beautiful post! Your days sound so peaceful and lovely. I agree, simple days at home are best! Karen

Marqueta said...

Busy, busy, busy! Isn't spring wonderful? We love "Charlotte's Web", too. It's such a lovely, innocent story.

Love,

Marqueta