Monday, April 26, 2010

Life as Art


It has been said that homemaking is an art. Do you believe that to be true? Well, it is true indeed. All one needs is a little open-mindedness and the ability to see things in new ways.


Can you create a fabulous meal using basic ingredients?
Do you have a green thumb resulting in a lush flower garden? Or are home-grown vegetables your specialty?



Is your home comforting and full of charm though you accept hand-me-down furniture, shop secondhand, thrift, and/or dollar stores?
Do you sew, stitch, embroider, sketch, paint, or craft with paper, beading, felt or any number of other materials?
Do you dress comfortably and yet maintain a sense of style?

Well then, my dears, you are an artist and your life is your canvas! There are a myrid more ways thaty we can create a beautiful lives and express our creativity. I believe Edith Shaeffer said it best in her book "The Hidden Art of Homemaking":

"I would define 'Hidden Art' as the art which is found in the 'minor' areas of life. By 'minor' I mean what is involved in the 'everyday' of anyone's life, rather than his career or profession.Each person, I believe, has some talent which is unfulfilled in some 'hidden area' of his being, and which could be expressed ansd developed."

What are your talents and how can you incorporate those talents into your everyday life?

 

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I think homemaking is an art. There is always more to learn as well.
I wouldn't say I have any homemaking talents, but my family says I make the best homemade bread:)

delightfuleclecticabode.com said...

Hello Tracy,

Homemaking is indeed an art!

~Sandy