Saturday, April 24, 2010

Home Work


As a homemaker, the care and keeping of our home largely falls to me. There are many tasks to be done each day to keep things running smoothly. I personally like to tackle the tasks I don't like very much fisrt, leaving the more enjoyable tasks to be done afterwards - almost like a reward of sorts.

Most of the tasks we tend to avoid, in reality, do not take long at all to complete. By dreading these things and procrastinating, a dark cloudy mood settles over the home and this trickles down from Mama, affecting the rest of the family. We only prolong our misery. How nuch better it is to tackle the less than lovely tasks head on!

We may not enjoy each and every task, but we can enjoy the end result - a home that is cozy, warm, welcoming, as well as neat and fresh-smelling. This is a gift we give both to ourselves as well as our family and those we invite into our homes.


Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest.
~Henry Van Dyke

 

4 comments:

Stephani said...

Thanks for this reminder! I'm going to get busy right now. I love this photo as well!

Mrs. Staggs said...

This is one of my favorite quotes, Tracy. I've always thought it would make a wonderful motto for a stitched sampler.

I too like to tackle the chores I don't enjoy first, and then when everything is done, it is nice to just sit back and bask in that feeling of accomplishment. I like for things to be clean and pretty. That kitchen photo is sure inspiring. So cheerful!

Lena

sarah said...

gosh, imagine having such a beautiful kitchen!

I'm wondering (just being nosey I suppose), do your children help you with your housework?

Tracy said...

They are responsible for keeping their bedrooms and the bathroom they share clean. Kendall does his own laundry and takes out the trash & the girls take care of the pets and put away their clean laundry. I handle the rest of the work myself. :)