Saturday, April 17, 2010

Good Things



After reading Mrs. White's post on coupons it has made me question whether couponing is really worth it. In order to make a decision, I decided to try an experiment. I will cook and bake as much as I can myself from scratch, using basic ingredients, to see for myself how I can save the most money.

Today I am going to spend time in my kitchen. Already I have hard-boiled eggs for salads and to make egg salad sandwiches. I have cubed up bread to make my own croutons, and I'm baking bacon in the oven to make our own bacon bits.

I'll probably make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Tuna Noodle Casserole for dinner. I'll peruse my pantry to see what other things I can make myself from scratch. I want to get away from processed foods anyway and would rather prepare foods that are filling, tasty, and nutritious. Sure, I'll be spending a lot more time in the kitchen, but my children won't be starving all the time, eating me out of house and home, and I suspect I'll be stretching my husband's income even further. And those are all good things!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

I did not read her post on coupons, I do use coupons but mostly for health and beauty things and cleaning products, very rarely on food items. I spent $60 at Walmart this week and only used 2 coupons which were for nuts.
When we eat baked goods or treats, 99% of the time they are homebaked, because I don't put weird ingredients in them and they just taste better and fresher.


stretching our grocery money takes lots of thought and planning these days - prices are so high and there are so many choices. In general, I try to use food products that are basic and have been around a long time.

FlowerLady said...

Tracy ~ I've been cooking from scratch since we got married a little over 40 years ago. Very few times have I bought pre-pkgd. meals. As a newly wed, I started collecting recipes from magazines, then buying cookbooks. I realized that you can make wonderful tasting and good for you meals and goodies for a lot less money. There is something so satisfying and rewarding in making your own. It is something you can do sometimes with your daughters also.

I also use herbs and spices which make things taste so good, and are healthy too.

Enjoy the whole process.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Laurie said...

Hi Tracy ~
I could never get the hang of using coupons. I just use them for pet food. I find most of the coupons are for not~too~good~for~you snacks and chemical cleaning stuff.
Good luck with your baking and cooking. I wish I had started doing what you are doing when I was your age ~ it took me much longer to do things myself!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Loved the beach photos!!

Penelope said...

I'm curious about that couponing article now...off to take a look.