Saturday, March 06, 2010

Mississippi Mud Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup veg. oil
1/2 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk*
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 bag mini-marshmallows

Icing:
1 stick butter, softened
3 Tbsp. cocoa
6 Tbsp. milk
1# box powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour 13"x9" pan.

Combine sugar, salt, flour in large bowl. Bring butter, oil, cocoa & 1/4 cup water to boil in saucepan.Add to flour mixture.

Beat together eggs, baking soda, buttermilk & vanilla. Add to chocolate mixture, mix well & pour into pan.

Bake for 25 minutes. (I had to bake mine for an additional 10 minutes.)

*Buttermilk substitute: Pour 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar in measuring cup, add milk until it reaches 1 cup. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Icing - melt butter in cocoa & milk over low heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.

Stir in powdered sugar. Slowly mix in nuts & vanilla.

Take cake from oven & when it cools a bit cover with mini-marshmallows.

Pour warm icing over cake & marshmallows.

Cool cake before serving.
***
This rich, delicious cake recipe is from Paula Deen.

6 comments:

Jane said...

Wow that looks delicious! I'm definitely trying this. Happy Saturday :)

Stephani said...

I love Mississippi Mud Cake! My husband makes a wonderful one. I don't even try to make it because he does such a good job on it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks a little different than my husband's and I'm sure you can't go wrong with a Paula Deen recipe.

Suzie Ridler said...

I have made Mississippi Mud Pie before but the cake idea is new to me, wow, absolutely luscious and decadent, looks fantastic.

Deborah said...

Okay, my chocolate craving is in full swing now! Going to see if I have all the ingredients.

Thanks for sharing

Laurie said...

Hi Tracy!
This looks like a seriously death by chocolate kind of thing! I love desserts with marshmallows!
Hope you are having a lovely weekend!

Tammy said...

I haven't made Mississippi Mud Cake in ages - my mouth is watering just looking at your photo!