Friday, March 26, 2010

Just For Me?


Sarah commented yesterday that she thought it was neat that I am thinking of doing something just for me and it got me thinking. How rare it is that I put myself first. I give to my husband and to my children. I put their needs above my own - even to my own detriment. I guess I thought that that is what good mothers do...

But what about mothers' needs? How long do we go with our dreams swept under a rug, ignoring the heart yearnings until the dreams are forgotten? We suppress our desires for the good of the family, but at what price? When we take charge of our own happiness, deciding that, yes, we are worth it, our families would be all the better for it. Because when Mama is happy, everyone benefits.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Amen to that! I've put aside at least an hour a day for sewing - something that I enjoy - for me :) And if I don't get all the housework done before the kids get home from school - then.........oh well!! It will still all be there tomorrow. It's taken me a while to get to this place, but I like it here.

Debra said...

Oh my, yes! It's vital for mothers to have dreams, contemplative times and activities of their own. We come away from those things feeling invigorated, inspired and energized and able to give a 'better, happier us' to our families.

And too, the saddest thing I've seen is when mothers have nurtured no life for themselves and then fall apart in desperation when their adult children leave the nest.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of always having projects and dreams and time for yourself. It reminds us of who we are apart from our families... and who we are to God. Blessings, Debra

Sandcastle Momma said...

"If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy" are the truest words ever spoken!
I just wish I could make that little voice (guilt) go away when I am doing something for myself.

sarah said...

I know mothers who have taken that saying to the extreme, focussing on their needs first, and the children are definitely NOT happy! But generally it is true. I think for some of us, being the all-giving mama is something that meets our needs and makes us happy. I know it was for me for many years. But there comes a time when we feel we want something more for ourselves, and to be able to do this is a gift for the whole family.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

It doesn't usually require finding too much time for yourself either. I find that just finding time to read a book I've been wanting to read will energize me. Sometimes, I'll ask my husband to take the kids somewhere, just so I can be at home alone. That's all I want, and then I'm rejuvenated when they get home.
Blessings,
Marcia