Friday, March 05, 2010

Bird-Watching



I love nature and I have always been fond of birds. As a kid, I had bird figurines in my room, a big Audubon bird book with brilliant pictures, and even a pet cockatiel named Pretty Boy.

In my yard I have seen many mockingbirds and blue jays, but I am always happy to see woodpeckers of any kind. The one I snapped pictures of is a Downey Woodpecker. Isn't he cute?

I have also noticed American Tree Sparrows, Nuthatches, various species of Blackbirds, Cardinals, Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Doves, and a few other I haven't yet been able to identify.

There is no end to the wonder and fascination of nature and all of its beauty.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

We love watching birds at our house too. These days I fill my feeders once (sometimes twice) a day. We have mostly yellow finches, purple finches, chirping sparrows and a variety of doves. There is a cardinal couple that comes around in the late afternoon. Of course, we have mockingbirds too.( Who doesn't?) I'm glad the mockingbird that rang our doorbell last year moved on. :-) In my subdivision, the birds have a variety of feeders to choose from throughout the neighborhood. Thanks for the great pictures Tracy. They make me feel like I'm sitting on a lawn chair in your yard. Peaceful.

Jane said...

I love watching the birds too! They have a lot to tell us about who and how we are, don't they. When we're agitated or in tunnel-vision they fly away. When we're in a peaceful state they just do their thing .... I've been trying to figure out who a beautiful Singer is near my yard. It just eludes me--but in the process of listening and attempting to see him (he perches high on a tree in a neighboring yard) I'm discerning a lot of the variety in its song. Ah, mysteries in our own backyards!

sarah said...

bird-watching is so peaceful ... unless of course you are tramping through cold damp forested hills to do it! Your photos are lovely.

The Muse said...

we are awaiting the birds...
too cold here for them yet...but soon, very soon!