Friday, January 22, 2010

The Year of I Can



I have always been really good at procrastinating, putting everyone else's needs ahead of my own, and resisted doing new things out of fear of failure or looking ridiculous. But one can not fully live life that way and I am tired of sitting in the shadows watching everyone else play in the sunshine.

I decided that this will be the year of "I Can".

I got another haircut, a short and sassy one, because I adore short hair. I had previously spent five years growing it out because Alfred preferred long hair, but I have to live with it and care for it. Now it is a cinch to care for and looks uber-cute!

I am making positive changes in my life. I'm drinking water now instead of my favorite drink: caffiene-free soda. I am eating small meals throughout the day and limiting sugar treats. I have begun exercising again with the hope of losing the extra pounds I have accumulated over the past 5 years.

I came to the realization last night that when I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis, I checked out on living life. RA became my excuse to not try new things/activities. Granted, I have limitations (I need plenty of rest and can not run or do high-impact exercises) - but I have allowed it to overtake my life to such a degree that life has essentially become stale and predictable.

The time has come for me to confront these false notions and regain my life back. To re-learn how to take care of myself, to listen to my body and my intuition, to discover my personal style, make time for my hobbies, and infuse my life with joy and passion.



Here's to a new year, a new me, and a year of possibilities...

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds wonderful - congratulations on taking such healthy, happy steps! Your haircut looks terrific :)
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Your short haircut looks darling too!
Kathy in Illinois

The Muse said...

Wooo Hoooo!
I am on board the YES I CAN train!

And what a sassy new conductor we have :)
Haircut, rocks :)

Avalon76 said...

Another passenger on the YES I CAN train! You are a very strong woman - I am proud of you! ^_^

Jackie said...

Love the new haircut...I'm a huge fan of short hair too. Making positive changes is hard sometimes but so worth it...I'm hoping to have a "Yes I Can" year too.

Have a great weekend.
Jackie

Rita said...

Tracy,
You have such a young fresh look. As if I can do anything! What a good way to look at your future. Even limited exercise is very important. I think you will have great days ahead.

Carolyn said...

Sooooo inspiring!! I am really struggling these days and reading your post this morning actually made me cry...Yes you can...and so can I!
Thank you so much for sharing.
And I love the hair! It looks absolutely darling :)

Ariadone said...

Hello Tracey, Like you I will cut my hair. You look great: sporty and strong. No, don't live in the shadows even though you are shy....put yourself in the Sunlight and receive the energy that taking up space and light will bring you. I feel now, at 54 nearly ( march ) that we owe it to our daughters to stay women-with-esteem and look and act on it.Otherwise: what will we have taught them when we are old age ? To hide away ?
No...you are a beautiful woman and this month you have set a whole new decor..for all of you !
Bravo
Godeliva van Ariadone

bellaboo said...

Hello Tracy,
It's always lovely to welcome new followers to my blog.Thanks for your comment too.I am just starting to catch up with yours and all your hopes for the coming year.

Bellaboo

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

What a fabulous motto!!

Laurie said...

Tracy,
I absolutely love your hair! You look adorable, and it suits you.

I think this will be a wonderful year for you ~

Are you counting down the days until you move??

Hugs))

Sunny said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and I want to join your "Yes, I Can" year! What a great idea! I too am a person who puts off doing things for myself and does what everyone else needs to the extent of burn-out. You have really inspired me! Thanks for being real and posting this!