Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Pleasant Occupations




Brew me a cup for a winter's night.
For the wind howls loud and the furies fight;
Spice it with love and stir it with care,
And I'll toast our bright eyes,
my sweetheart fair.
~Minna Thomas Antrim

It has been unusually cold this week and looks to be so for a while longer. The sun is brightly shining and it's accompanied by a biting north wind. It was 19 degrees this morning with a high of 45 degrees expected. But weather forecasting, even with all of its modern technology, is subject to change. One can not fully predict what Mother Nature will pull out of her hat, as I am reminded time and time again.

With weather like this, there's nothing I want to do outside. Instead, I turn my focus and my energies within to creating the comforts of home. Cocoa topped with marshmallows, comfort foods, baked goods and treats, easing back into lessons, cleaning and puttering, soft music, good movies, arts and crafts, and board games.

We have no say in the matter concerning Winter so we must make the best of it. We bide our time with pleasant occupations dreaming of Spring's return.

4 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Makes me want to camp out at your place :)

Sandcastle Momma said...

Your house does sound cozy. We've been inside and easing into this year with games and art and music lessons.
Have you ever played the game Pigs? It's really fun and is a great math game.

Debra said...

Oh! Love, love the new header. And your 45 degrees sound incredible. The weather people said *maybe* we'll get back up to 30 degrees by the 15th. Oh well, as you said, there's nothing we can do about the weather so we may as well enjoy the world inside! Have fun today in your cozy home... and as always, thanks for your sweet comments at my blog! Blessings, Debra

cathleen said...

Hi Tracy! Sounds like you are doing your best to make your cold winter days quite cozy. I am looking forward to spring, already. I miss my garden.