Monday, December 28, 2009

Living On a Wing and a Prayer



Much of my time lately has been spent in the kitchen - whipping up pancakes, cupcakes, big pots of chili and chicken noodle soup....foods that are filling, comforting, and simple yet delicious. My chief concerns as a wife and mother are that my family is well-fed and have plenty to eat and are clean, warm, and loved.

Alfred's work is slow. With it being just after Christmas, a lot of people are not having their vehicles worked on. But I try not to fret because things have a way of working out.

Recently we were unexpectedly blessed with a generous gift - Dining On a Dime Cookbook (what a treasure trove!), a note with $60 tucked inside, and gifts for the girls - lip glosses, crayons, markers, activity books, and $11 for each one. Today, we were blessed yet again with $75 from Alfred's uncle who had sold a car part for him.

These gifts, these blessings, humble me. They remind me that I am not in control, that I am dependent on the great I AM. He who cares for the birds of the air and clothes the flowers of the field, will He not also care for me, clothe me, and provide for my needs? He has proven time and time again that He can, He does, and He will.

It does me no good to worry and fret. It is better for me to stay calm and peaceful, working in my home creating nourishing meals, providing a soothing atmosphere, reading stories to my girls, listening to Kendall when he needs to talk, meeting Alfred with a smile when he returns from work frustrated and discouraged.

It isn't always easy to live on a wing and a prayer. It forces me to be creative, to count my blessings, and to pray. It keeps me close to Jesus.


Matthew 6: 25-34 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

1 comment:

FlowerLady said...

What a lovely post. I love those verses also. Life can be discouraging, but we our to give our burdens to Jesus trusting Him to work all things out.

This year was a tight one for us as well and has changed our way of living.

I'm looking forward to a new year of living more frugally, with a stronger faith in the One who is the author and finisher of that faith.

It sounds like you are being a loving, caring wife and mother. The things you do for your family encourage and build them up when things are getting them down. You are creating a peaceful, loving haven for them from the hectic, and sometimes crazy world that we live in.

May your new year be filled with many blessings.

FlowerLady