Thursday, December 31, 2009

Being a Helpmeet


Genesis 2:18 "The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

My husband, Alfred, works so hard to provide for our family. He must go out into the world each day and deal with untold stress, aggravation, and competition. He does so willingly so I can remain at home with our children and keep the home fires burning.

I try to do things that will make his life easier and more pleasant. On especially cold mornings, I go out and start his car so it's warm when he gets into it and spray it down with water to remove the frosty build-up from the windows. I make his coffee first thing in the morning. I prepare his lunch and fill a thermos full of tea for him to take to work. I help get ready in the morning, getting out his uniform, socks, boots, and coat. I walk out with him and send him off with a kiss and I love you.

When he returns home, I greet him a smile and a tall glass of tea. Dinner is either already or prepared or nearly done, for I know he is tired and hungry after a long 11 hour day away from home. I prepare his dinner plate and often run his bath water. I listen as he shares about his day. I cuddle with him at night because he needs me...he needs the closeness and to reconnect.

I love him and want to ease his burdens. I allow him time to rest and recharge each night so he can face another day in the working world. Does it seem like I give too much? Believe me, I have the better part. My job as keeper at home is a cake walk compared to the daily challenges he must deal with.

I give because I love, because I am thankful, and because this is the life God has called me to.

6 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Bless your heart! Wonderful loving post.

I am proud of you for the loving, nurturing way you care for your husband, family and home. It makes my heart feel glad.

FlowerLady

the simple woman said...

Tracy,
I liked this post alot...especially the part, "I cuddle with him at night because he needs me...he needs the closeness and to reconnect." I fail at this most often and it stung at reading it. Never thought of it in this light. Thank you!

cathleen said...

So much love between you two, Tracy....it's so inspiring. Have a very Happy New Year.

Jane said...

Happy New Year! I've been at home for 6 months now and I totally understand the need to help make life a little easier for my husband.

~Moondust Marita~ said...

That is awesome that you do all that for him. You are a woman of God and that is how He intended marriage to be. I have a similar situation at home except he lost his job and he does so much for me like the things you do for your husband and I am the recipient of all the small things he does on a daily basis to make my life easier. Keep up the good work and God will richly bless your marriage.

~Missy~ said...

Love love love this post! You don't know how glad I am to hear other women feel this moved to take care of thier man! I get "picked on" for doing those very things for my guy..even from some member of his own family. Thank God I really don't care about their opinion on it ;~) It's a wonderful blessing to get to be at home, with a man who wants and supports his woman at home...and an even greater blessing to give back to him in this way!! Keep up the excellent work!