Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Refuge



 Our family of five lives in a smallish three bedroom/two bath 16x80 mobile home on a half acre of land. Currently, my mama and youngest sister live with us and my brother stays every other weekend (both are teens), so we have a full house. It can get loud and chaotic around here to say the least.

Yesterday I spent several hours cleaning the master bedroom, bathroom, and closet - otherwise known as the dungeon of doom. I cleaned windows, pictures and mirrors, dusted, vacuumed, washed curtains, sheets, and table scarves. I even bleached the mini-blinds.

Now it is as neat as a pin...a peaceful refuge that my husband and I can escape to when we need a little space and quiet. He works so hard and often comes home frustrated over work issues and I wanted a private place where he can unwind.

Once Spring comes I will paint those rooms a lovely sage green and cocoa with rose and white accents to create a cozy cocoon. The earthy colors will be a reminder of nature's beauty and that I need to slow down, be mindful, and live completely and fully.

Until then, I shall do my best to create a cozy nest with what I have and to take each day as it comes.

6 comments:

mountainmama said...

goodness, that is a full house~ that is wonderful that you find every way you can to create a peaceful haven out of your homes and lives. you are an inspiration! :) best to you and your family~~

Jennifer Perkins said...

love this post. :o)

Kathy said...

Feels good to get that room all spruced up doesn't it? I love taking a day or so to transform a room...great feeling, xoxo~ Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

sarah said...

wow, so many people - where do you all fit?!

your description of house cleaning makes me want to jump up right now and do some scrubbing of my own.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

We also have lived in confined spaces. I have to remind myself it's tight because there is a lot of love sharing the space. Good for you to carve out a space for you and your hubs to go to. That is so important in a marriage. You'll have to put up some pictures of your new room when you get it painted. Hugs To you . Tammy

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

It sounds like my full house. I'm always trying to keep the chaos down to a small roar. I love the photo at the top of the post, so peaceful. The colors you plan on using to paint your master bedroom sound wonderful.
Blessings,
Marcia