Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Dreams of Simplicity



A new day dawns and with it my dreams of simplicity. Deep within me there is a great yearning for a life of simplicity and yet my progress seems so slow at times. But I must remember progress is progress and change does not happen overnight.

I dream of line-dried laundry, a lush flower garden, a successful vegetable garden, fruit trees, a well-stocked pantry, free-range chickens for fresh eggs, making everything I can myself, handmade gifts, cross-stitching and embroidery, and a consistently clean and cozy home...among other things.

Having grown up without instructions in the art of homemaking, I feel I am behind the curve ball even now after 17 years of marriage. So I want to make sure my girls are prepared for the care and keeping of their future homes, so I am bringing them alongside me as I go about my work. I hope to pass on my love of the simple life to them.

What do you dream of?

6 comments:

Donna said...

The title of your blogpost - Dreams of Simplicity - drew me in. I love everything you wrote. For me, simplicity would be learning to live (happily) without all the little material things I have attached emotions to because they clutter up my home and my mind at times... Clutter free are two powerful words to me... something I am working toward (half-heartedly sometimes, I'm afraid)... Donna

Jackie said...

I dream of the same things!

Laurie said...

It is never too late to learn homemaking skills. I am still learning and probably always will be. Some of the best things you can teach your girls is caring for a home and all that goes with it~
Hugs))

Emily said...

You are not alone! I dream of these things too, and hope to slowly make them a reality!! :)

A Stitch In Thyme said...

I tell my husband all the time, should God choose to take me slow may he allow my mind to wander in the days of Potter... Beatrix Potter that is. I truly believe my soul is more of those times then the ones we live in now. I find myself most at peace away from the city, nestled amongst the animals and the one's I love. Cooking off an old iron stove, raising bread by the hearth and stringing popcorn and cranberries for the tree. Much simpler times. I hear you and God Bless you for wanting the same for your girls. Hugs. Tammy

Deborah said...

Dreams can hold a lot of power if we keep them close to our hearts. For out of them can come reality. One day we will turn around to find that they are no longer a dream, but the life we are walking in. I know for I am seeing the fruit of some of my dreams now. Having recently moved to our "Heart Land" farm is a dream come true for us. Seeing in grow and flourish is a joy each day. The dream of having fresh eggs (from our free range hens) and sweet milk (from our milking goats) is a daily delight at our table. Working on a dream, step by step will get you to where you want to go. Looking out the windows of our homestead and seeing it take shape. Keeps us going when tired bodies want to give in to the fatigue. Plans are in the making to see other dreams become real next Spring as well. I love this life and feel as if I have finally come home.

Dream on ladies. . . .